1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

cooling boost with nitrous

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by quickie 5.8, Nov 24, 2008.

1. quickie 5.8

ive read a couple articles speaking of using a wet nitrous kit to cool the intake charge from a s/c......im getting ready to put a NON intercooled F1r procharger ( blow-thru ) on my drag car and it just so happens i already have a wet kit put up.

im considering putting it on the car to cool the intake air temp and at the same time adding a little power ( like about 50 to 75 shot )

anyone experimented with this or use this with good results/ bad results ? :huh: if so what size of aa shot was used

2. BLACKMACH1

I'll respond cause I've used it with great success.Just wasn't at the level you are at.I was running 13psi on a vortech added a 30hp dry shot on the inlet of the blower with a meth kit 50/50 mix with distilled water.Took off 5 tenths and picked up 4mph.Didn't touch timing I relied on the meth and water(risky).Hope it helps.I would like to hear other results.

This was on a fuel injected car,not my blowthru mustang.

3. cabbott921

just make sure you have a good bottom end and you will be good to go

4. quickie 5.8

1 good thing about it is that a blowthru setup is supposed to run cooler because the fuel cooling the charge in the intake....with that in mind i have also read a wet kit is best to cool also not only b/c of the nitrous itself but also the fuel being injected before it enters the intake.

i have everything i need to do this... im just concerned because ive never ran a supercharger on a car and i have alot of $ tied up in my new block. but it makes sense...i felt it was pretty useless running a innercooler on a car that you crank up and floor it for 1/8th mile at a time just to be shut off and cooled again.

why spend an extra grand :doh:

5. AIS

If your looking to cool off your intake air charge and to help and control detonation and improve the safety of your combination. Nitrous is not a good choice. Its great a making power and acting a power adder. As well as helping turbos spool up and building power right off the line. But not at all for additional engine safety for forced induction engines. Call any nitrous company and they will tell you nitrous is not a good anti detonate at all. Also, whether you run a dry or wet shot you can count on nitrous raising the cylinder pressure, cylinder temperature and EGT's. This isn't going to help make your combination any safer but it will make more power.

Let me know if you have any other questions or how I can help.

Rodney

6. BLACKMACH1

I gues I should of mentioned that in my post.I wasn't using no2 to cool,but to pick up some power do to a maxed out v2sq.

7. Andy Dorsett

My supercharged car picked up 71Hp at the wheels with a 75Hp shot and it had an intercooler. There is a cooling effect to the intake charge. I agree you should only do this if more power is desired.

8. quickie 5.8

what i was thinking was it might be a good idea to back off the boost some and put a small shot of nitrous for better cooling in 2 ways...at least backing off the boost some will cool the charge some and the extra fuel and nitrous would also cool it some while putting me around the same power range

not to mention better bottom end power via nitrous :D just a thought

9. AIS

Gotcha. Nitrous is great trick for adding extra power down low are for a little extra kick on the top end. However, occasionally I read and hear people talking about adding it for additional engine safety due to it's perceived cooling effect. What they don't understand is that its not adding any additional engine safety if thats what they are looking. it's quite the opposite when it comes to that.

As for your maxed out V2SQ Trim. You should really consider running pre-compressor water methanol injection. When ever we have customers with 5.0's or 4.6's running a maxed out Vortech S-Trim and we add water methanol injection just before the supercharger. We pick up 2-3 psi every time. Guys are jumping from 16 to 19 psi by just adding the water methanol injection and injecting just before the supercharger. For the longest time everyone was running the injection just before the TB and missing out on another large portion of added power.

Just something to think about.

Rodney

10. ItCouldHappen

The water/meth has no bad effects on supercharger?

11. AIS

No, just ask some of the many other members who are doing it.