1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cooler Fluid

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by BigDan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. BigDan

So after going over my budget plans I decided not to use an air to water intercooler because based on what I have read here and a few other forums I'm on. Since I plan to keep my boost at 5 pounds with a max of 10, I was wondering what will last the longest in a metal cooler I plan to use to chill my fuel with. Ice with cheap vodka, ice and water with salt in it or dry ice and? Our weather in Western WA is pretty mild most of the year but it can get hot 90+ so I figure those times is when I would use it or if I were on a road trip.

Which would be better to use, Aluminum lines for ease of shaping or SS for longer life span?

The cooler would get extra insulation sealed both inside and out with Ultimate Liner.

4.8L GMC stock motor
    Single 76mm turbo
    650 DP on Single Plane intake

2. Boost Engineer

And the point of chilling the fuel is?

Tom V.

3. BigDan

Cooling the fuel adds power and reduces the intake air temps and decreases the chance for vapor lock in high heat conditions like stop and go driving when its 90+ degrees outside. In a way its kind of like these water/meth injection setups that are all the rage these days. Moroso sells a little one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/65125/10002/-1?parentProductId=. But since I'm not going drag racing I want a dual purpose cooler that keeps my drinks cold on road trips.

4. blown385

I live in Florida and dont have the urge to chill my fuel . Beer yes , fuel no .

5. Forcefed86

The complications and headache of am ICED water/air cooler aren't worth it on a a car running 10psi IMO. Should be able to run that with a properly sized turbo and no cooler. Throw a cheapo alcohol inj kit on and call it good. No need to add 100lbs on nonsense for 10psi.

6. BigDan

I wont be running an ice water air to water intercooler this is just to drop fuel temps during extremely hot days.

7. Forcefed86

Sorry about that was skimming on the smart phone. Damn things…

Still gotta say… going through all the effort of a “cool can” for fuel seems counterproductive. Have you measured your fuel temps? The ice in the “cool can” road trip theory is pretty flawed. The Ice in the can won’t last long and won’t have positive effects on economy.. Cooler fuel does not atomize as well, this can result worse fuel economy. If your set on it, the nice setups I’ve seen utilize an igloo type beverage cooler. This way they are insulated and do not “sweat”. Overall I really wouldn’t bother. Spend that money on an water/meth inj kit. You’ll be 10x better off IMO. Good luck with it either way.