1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Converter flash in regards to rear gear

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Gene, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Gene

I was wondering, I swaped my buddy rear gears as an experiment. I am going from 4.10 with a 29" tire, to a 3.50 with the same rubber. Will the higher gear effect my converter flash at the line? What about at the top end? I currently go through the lights at around 6500.. will the higher gear effect my converter efficiency through the traps? I'm guessing all things being equal the car will MPH slower right?

I am upping boost and I switched gears to work with the MPH I want to run... I just couldnt wrap my mind around it.

2. SWT Racing

It definitely made a difference on my car, but the converter was pretty inefficient from the beginning.

I ran my car with a 3.50 gear and a 26" slick and went through the traps at ~6900 @ 138 mph. I didn't want to spin the stock bottom end that high, so I swapped to a 3.25 gear. With everything else remaining the same, the car still went through the traps at ~6900 @ 138! That's about 15-16% slip.

I have since switched to a 9" Continental converter designed for a turbo setup, but have not run it yet.