1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Convert MSII code to Extra code

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Wallace, May 21, 2010.

1. Wallace

Has anyone done this? I want to so that I can get all the bitchin' features it will do. I've read the information and it seems to be pretty straightforward. I do have some mods on mine that I think would need to be moved around to accomodate the new code. I am using 2 of the 3 leds for spare outputs for fan and shift light. I also use the knock sensor port for a 3rd fuel pump. I use EDIS-6. I want to go to direct coil control, pwm boost control and still retain my current functions as well. I am also using the pwm idle control currently. Any information or adivce about doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. mrselfdestruct1994

Hey champ, I switched to the Extra code about a year ago and found a lot of the new features very helpful. The only dissapointment I had was that I couldn't stop the closed loop idle control from trying to close the IAC if I let the clutch out whilst rolling downhill, making the idle control a touch unpredictable. I believe this has been corrected in MS3 but I'm not sure if they plan to backport it or not. Another issue I enountered was the tpsDOT and mapDOT thresholds are calculated differently between some versions of the firmware so that'd be the first thing to check if you find it doesn't want to idle after the switch. I'm sorry I can't comment on your hardware modifications but if I don't think you'll have any issues, hopefully someone else will be able to confirm that for you.

Good luck! :)

Cheers,
    Sam

3. Wallace

So what features of the Extra code are you using? Bump for anyone else who has done the conversion and has info to share. Thanks.

4. wesk

Even if you used none of the extra features, you will likely be able to make the car run better with the extra code.

I have ran MS2 Extra (or MS3 on my current vehicle) for 4 years now. I have used it on 5-6 cars at this point.

A few "gotchas" relative to MS2:

1) Most of the ignition stuff is different. Don't mix and match instructions and circuits from the extra docs to the standard MS docs. Use the MS2 extra recommended settings, and verify the circuits used match those suggested in the extra documentation.
    2) Start with the "fresh" .msq that installs with the firmware. Import your tables from MS2 (fuel, spark, AFR targets).
    3) Their is a feauture called "multiply map." If you are running speed density on MS2, you will want to leave this checked. The default value used to be reverse of the typical install.

4) Go through each menu, and verify all settings.

5. mrselfdestruct1994

The 16x16 fuel table was definitely helpful for me as my car needed quite a lot of bins around idle and very low loads to run well. The other really handy feature was the overboost protection which I had set to cut fuel if MAP exceeded 220kpa. Closed loop idle is also neat but as I said before it hasn't been perfected in my opinion. Also, the ability to control the IAC position during cranking at multiple coolant temperatures was a nice touch.

Just to expand on this, on the vast majority of setups and definitely when boosted it's preferred to leave multiply map turned on, however if you are running N/A and find your map signal is a little noisy or erratic then turning this off can sometimes help smooth your pulse widths. This is because with multiply map turned on the map signal is directly included in the pulse width calculation. For example, if you had a value of 40% at both 50kpa and 100kpa, the pulse width will be effectively doubled at 100kpa compared to 50kpa, even though the value's are the same. At least I'm pretty sure that's correct, someone correct me if I'm wrong as I may not firing on all cylinders this morning. :)

I'm definitely not saying I recommend turning multiply map off by the way, just thought it was worth discussing a little further.

6. Wallace

There is just a couple sentences about multiply map and I believe if left checked it works just like the standard b&g code does?

"Multiply MAP: This changes the way the VE table values function. The usual equation is to multiply the MAP value (along with other corrections, req_fuel, etc) to find the final Pulse Width. For some engines with very jumpy MAP signals it may be necassery to turn this off to get a smoother tune."

Anybody using this code used the 2 step function? If so I'd really like to hear results and how you like it.