1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Convert from Coil packs to COPS? (EDIS Q"S)

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by mustangpwr98, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mustangpwr98

Convert from Coil packs to COPS? (EDIS Q"S)

I want to covert from coils and wires to COP. I know you can do this on a fox with a seperate EDIS module, but how do you do it on a 98 gt with the edis module built in the computer? Do you need a newer computer to run COP?
    Thanks
    Tom

Oh and WTF does EDIS stand for?

2. turbodnotch

Re: Convert from Coil packs to COPS? (EDIS Q"S)

Electronic DistributorLESS Ignition System

3. GPowrie

I am assuming you want to run waste spark still? If so you can wire the coils in parallel. To convert to coil on plug and not run waste spark you will need to change over to a newer PCM and harness.

4. GPowrie

Also the Ford EDIS-8 module will not help anyway, you basicly have that built in to your ECM.

5. Anthony Fury

Why bother? What will it gain you? How much will it cost? Cost/Headache to benefit ratio: extremely poor

EDIS is a kickass setup, I guess second only to COP. You're head and shoulders above us poor "single coil" slobs, which in theory shouldn't even run past 5000 RPM. :)

6. mustangpwr98

Because with a newer ecu, i can have a two step using my sct :2thumbs:

7. Anthony Fury

You can have a 2-step with an MSD box for a lot less. :2thumbs:

8. Anthony Fury

9. mustangpwr98

CAn you be more specific. The thread doent say anything about it.

10. Anthony Fury

All I really know about it is: the car used to have a pro-shifted manual, so he had the 2-step setup with his MSD "EDIS" box, or whatever they call it. And, he's tuning with an SCT. He has a 'braked 4R70W now, so I don't know if he uses the 2-step anymore. Anyway, if all you care about is having a 2-step, then I think it's safe to say that adding an MSD box will be a lot cheaper and easier than throwing all your perfectly good EDIS stuff away for COP.