1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bov OVERKILL ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BFI-93, Jan 10, 2008.

1. BFI-93

Is 2 tial 50mm bov's overkill on a 401 windsor with a turbonetics 101. Could I get away with just one 50mm valve? I also have a 50mm turbosmart powergate wastegate and I was thinking of adding an additional tial 44mm wastegate. Would that be overkill as well? I want to have very good control over the boost. But I also don't want to do it if it is not needed. I think I have some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder. :cheers:

2. BFI-93

anyone running a set-up simialar to this?? :huh:

3. RacinRadials

I have a 347 with a 101mm on it and a single 60mm HKS is right on the edge. Any more and I would go to 2 gates.

4. BFI-93

What are you using for a bov? I was thinking twin 50mm tials or 1 procharger race bypass.

5. ralphiejantz

Look into using two of the JGS BOV
    theyre very reasonably priced and 2 of them should definately be more than enough

6. Robert1320

Actually the JGS 56mm BOV has a larger opening than the P/C red valve.
    In stock also. ;)

7. Drlee50

but the question is: does he need 1 or 2??

8. Robert1320

Only one, w/g's is key for boost control and it only has a 101.

9. psDis96

I think his orginal question was would 1 smaller blow off valve be enough to relieve the pressure, Dont think boost control was ever his question.

The blowoff valve has nothing to do with boost control unless it were to form a massive leak then it'd more than likely just slow spool time.

I'm planning to run twin 50mm tials. The new Tial's are also supposed to flow over 50% more air then the only ones with the same sized valve.

10. Drlee50

Thanks-
    I am in the same boat-- but only an 88mm turbo. going to run just 1 bov and a 60mm wg
    thanks

11. Robert1320

Good luck with that e-bay job.
    I hope it works. :-X

12. BFI-93

So I will be fine with one jgs 56mm bov, but I should go ahead and run the 2 wastegates? I think one 50mm turbosmart w/g would be really close to getting the job done but with an additional 44mm I think surely I could get the boost to stay however low I need it to be.

13. Drlee50

bustin my balls LOL! its worth a try. 1500 for headers, 1200 for turbo, 1500 for intercooler, 1400 for cooling i gotta try to save $ some where. 750 for WG? ouch!

14. S-K SPEED

you should be fine with the single JGS BOV just when you plumb it into the cold side piping leave enough room in case you ever want to add a second one,
    The turbosmart wastegate you have should be fine as well by itself, and if you wanted to add an additional one it definately will not hurt it
    we also carry the raceport 50mm BOV from tial if your interested pm us theturboforums.com member pricing on that is $375 and I have them in stock
    so thats another option that would as well
    if your interested give the store a call at 516-766-2225 ext 5 ask for Carmine or Eric and make sure you mention your from this website in order to recieve the member discount, we're open 7 days a week
    or if you have any other tech questions feel free to give us a call or send us a pm
    thanks
    Carmine

15. psDis96

You'll pay for it now or later, save and go fast reliably, or keep piecing the car back together. Ebay components are a expensive crapshoot, and you'll never get your money back from it once the junk falls appart, if you cant afford a 750.00 wastegate then you cant afford to need it. I'm not being an ass, it may take me 3 yrs to piece my junk together but when it's done it'll be pieced together right.

16. WaterPog

shit, never ran a bov at all on the cobra, never caused a problem even at 4 digit power and 40+ psi.

17. Drlee50

i can afford it, but there are some top racers that have pm's me that the ebay unit is working on their car just fine. i will pull it apart and make sure it works properly before i use it. i will check on it frequently when i get it running. i dont want to waste my $ if the cheaper on will work well.

18. psDis96

well an ebay wastegate is something that is not worth risking. In a turbo car the wastegate is an extremely important piece of the puzzle, in some cases it fails and other components fail before you have time to even worry about it. But regardless the bov isnt nearly as crucial as the wastegate.

19. Robert1320

Holy.... $750.00 wow.
    JGS 60 MM are almost $200 bucks cheaper.

Good luck, I hope it works well.

20. Drlee50

yeah, hks gt-2

i already have that flange welded to my cross over all stainless to id like to try to use it as is.