1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

compressor intake

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by hemiturbo, Apr 14, 2011.

1. hemiturbo

I have a mates car who has mounted his turbo too close to a panel and if he fits a intake hose the angle at which it has to sit will make it bad restriction.
    What my question is that I have an idea of making a 'banjo"type intake where a 3 inch donut is fitted in front of the intake and a 3 inch hole cut in the side to make it 90 degrees to the turbo intake .The idea is to allow air to come in through the 3 inch pipe and spread around the 3 inch donut and then into the intake. If it was just a sharp 90 degree it would be not good for flow but this idea of spreading the air across the volume of the donut may reduce the restriction. I have seen this done on exhaust outlets of turbo's years ago when the turbo's were mounted too close to the fire wall. Has anyone heard of this or know if it will work. Maybe guys with flow benches might have a more of an understanding if this is worth it.
    Will this work or have I lost the plot.

2. AlkyV6

I'm not an expert, but I would think the donut section would need to be a larger diameter than the hole feeding into the compressor housing. That's the way I remember banjo housing looking.