1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Engine break-in with or without boost

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by I6CJ7, Aug 1, 2020.

1. I6CJ7

So my engine builder is telling me that the engine should be babied and broken in without the turbo... Its an Amc 401.

Everything I've seen and read these days says to break in the engine as it's intended to be used. Which also seats the rings the quickest.

I'm losing sleep over this..

2. Mnlx

Not babied, but many break in na or on very low boost. You don't want a bunch of extra fuel in it while breaking it in. Much less worry about the tune na, and you can get some heat and load.

I6CJ7 and nxcoupe like this.
  3. I6CJ7

Seems odd to do it that way. Then have to go back and have the efi re-learn and or re-tune it over again.

4. nxcoupe

Yeah, I take the wastegate spring out and break it in under a load on the dyno. Pull it to 5500 and then let it decel to 2500 or so amd then wot back up to 5500. I do this in sets of 4 followed by a cool down and check over, then fire it up and do it again. I do the 3 or 4 times followed by an oil change. Then I put the spring in and start tuning for boost because at that point I have the na tune down pat usually.

tbird, MCA and I6CJ7 like this.