1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Compressor Housings and Backplates?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 4sfed4, Aug 11, 2004.

1. 4sfed4

Great site!

I am new here, but you guys seem to know quite a bit about turbos...so here goes!

Any of you guys know if the TO4E compressor backplate can be used with the 60-1 compressor wheel? I assume it can since the 60-1 wheel is only 3.000" in major diamater (same as the TO4E 50 trim). (And, I also believe the 60-1 HiFi from Turbonetics is just the 60-1 in the TO4E housing?)

I am thinking about putting a 60-1 wheel on my existing turbo, as I really dont want to start from scratch as I like the center section and exhaust sides that I already have (I just want a little more airflow capability on the compressor side). The TO4E 50 trim on there now is severely taxed at high boost pressure as boost pressure actually drops with rpm.

I have the 0.50 A/R compressor cover as well. I am not sure if it would be better to have that housing machined for the 60-1 wheel, or start with a bigger 0.60 or 0.70 A/R housing to begin with?

I really do not want to put a full TS04 cover on there (4" inlet and 2.5" outlet.) I test fit one before and, although it fits, its a PITA to fit an airfilter on there and I really dont want the extra hassle. Plus, the smaller A/R covers should (I believe) make the 60-1 wheel "happier" at higher boost pressures?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. 19COBRA93

If, like you said, the major diameters of both wheels are the same, then you should have no problem using the same backplate.

If you're going to use the same backplate, it would be better to have your compressor housing machined to fit the new wheel, as a different housing probably wouldn't fit onto your existing backplate.

At higher boost levels the 60 wheel will like the T04S cover better, but if a "b" or "e" type cover will fit your application better, then go that route.

I'm not sure what effect the compressor a/r has over one another. There is plenty of info out there for the turbine a/r, but no one really goes into the compressor a/r and what's better for what/reason.

3. 4sfed4

Thanks for the help Cobra.

Getting any info out of Turbonetics is an exercise in futility. Ive called twice and once was on hold for 20 minutes before giving up and the second time it was obvious the fellow on the other end of the line either wasnt really listening to me, or didnt really care (or some combination of both). Seems a strange way to treat a customer with a $1000+ turbo!

I think I may try the 60-1 using this same backplate as it appears it will work as both the 60-1 and TO4E 50 have the same 3.000" major diameter. The only outstanding issue is the housing. I suppose I could get the existing TO4E 0.50 A/R housing machined to fit the 60-1 wheel, but I am not sure if that housing would be too small for the wheel. I have been told that the smaller the A/R of the housing, the more the compressor map is shifted to the left and up (i.e. max flow goes down, but acceptable pressure ratios go up and the surge line moves to the left.) I believe this is why Turbonetics sells the 60-1 HiFi turbo as it is the 60-1 in a TO4E 0.60 A/R housing and it apparently allows higher boost pressures (with a small loss in peak flow) over what the published 60-1 map would suggest. The only question is whether or not the 0.50 A/R housing I currently have would be too small for the 60-1.

Id really like to pop an even bigger wheel on there (something like a T61 or T66), but then Id have to deal with the shaft size mismatch as well as the backplate mismatch.

4. TwinTurboStrokr

Larry,

Try Charlie @ EverGreen Turbo?

He's likely to have all the info you need, and he's more than willing to assist with phone inquiries.

EVERGREEN TURBO COMPANY
    Turbo rebuild service center for all OEM turbos, including Garrett, IHI, HOLSET Toyota, Mitsubishi, KKK and Hitachi. 1540 S.W. 5th Ave.. Ocala, FL 34474 (800) 275-2531

5. 4sfed4

Thanks for the tip!

I will call him tomorrow and get his advice.