1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

557 ford twin 76mm turbos

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 59megawagon, Jan 7, 2013.

1. 59megawagon

Hello all again..... I am working on my 59 wagon again. I got a Weldon 2015 fuel pump for it and I think it will cure my fuel supply problems. I have had some timing issues with the car and have had big Det, problems So my question here is What cruise timing should I run and what total adv. timing should I have?? I have a SDS injection system.

As for this build I have a 460 block with a stroker crank, unported aluminum pro comp heads roller rockers, torquer 2 intake with 80lb. injectors installed and a single 80mm TB. as for cam I am running a 580 lift with 315 total dir. and a 110 LC If I remember correct. I did have this on a dyno a long time ago and it was running out of fuel under boost. BTW full boost is 8lbs. it made 800 ft. lbs of torque at 2300 rpm but only ran up to 3500 rpm and ran out of fuel. as for HP it only made 550 hp with a pretty good upward curve before running lean.

Tom.

PIC00041.JPG #ad

pipes.jpg.jpg #ad

2011 (1).jpg #ad

new1010.jpg (1).jpg #ad

2. Brillko

Cruise around 2000 rpm should be 35-45 deg of timing depending on vacum. With 8-10 Pounds i would be running 30-32 degs of timing on it.

3. Brillko

I know that timing can be alot lower to and make Power on these fords... One guy here got more and more Power @ 15 psi down to 20 deg.

4. 59megawagon

This motor will Det. with only 18 deg. of timing. Under boost that is.... I run 8lbs of boost.

5. 59megawagon

Does anyone here run a big block twin turbo?? Can you give me some timing advice boosted and cruise timing???

6. Brillko

If you detonate with 8 psi and 18 deg of timing something is off. What AFR / Lamda are you seeing on boost? And at what RPM are you detonating?

7. stangman9897

You stepped up to the 2015 pump what injectors are you running.

8. 59megawagon

Yes I went big with the pump so I dont have anymore fuel problems. as for injectors I am running 80lb ones. I have a wide band on the car. as for my Det. problems I think it was lack of fuel. On the dyno it would start at 50 psi fuel pressure and once floored to 3500 rpm it would drop below 30psi. I have made lots of changes to this car over the years and that is a problem I have for tuning it. I used to have a small cam and iron heads.

9. Brillko

Fix fuel problems first... It should be 50 psi all the way and add boost on that... So with 15 psi boost you should see 65 psi of pressure.

10. 59megawagon

I have my fuel supply problem cured now so I just need to split my fuel lines before the rails and then run two lines to the regulator. I think I may be able to do some dyno runs in a few weeks???if so I will post them.

11. M&M Turbochargers

looking forward to the results:thumbsup:

12. Disney Lincoln

I seriously doubt the ability of those injectors of happily feeding that monster. Maybe... at your low boost? Maybe.

What does your exhaust down stream look like? If you're choked up post- turbo that will cause detonation as well.

13. 59megawagon

The exhaust is all 3" from the turbos to the magnaflow mufflers and 3.5 out to the exhaust tips that exit before the rear tires. It has no kinks or tight bends anywhere, it passes threw the frame to exit out the side of the car.

14. 59megawagon

What size injectors do people run for a motor this size??? I here any bigger and it wont idle on the street. at idle the injectors have a duty cycle of 2 to 3 %

15. 59megawagon

Here is a video of the car running https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QDo96Q1gvR4 I did get the new motor in and running back in march of 2012 but ran out of money to buy the new big fuel pump. So i put it to bed in a storage box for the last 9 months.... I have all new interest again in getting it running the way it should.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  16. Brillko

Depends on fuel pressure. I am running 160lbs injectors on 2000hp with E85. But i can only guess on yours. If the Power is expected to be under 1000hp run what you have. You can probably go up to 1200 with no problems with these with a higher fuel pressure, but then your pump is to small... 100-120lbs will be correct. But change after you have bottomed them out if you are short on cash. //Stefan

17. 59megawagon

Yes I am sure my pump may not flow enough for E85 but should work well over 1000hp if i ever get there. What fuel pump do you run?? The one I am using now is a Weldon 2015 it pressurizes in less than 2 seconds with the -10 lines and rails.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  18. Disney Lincoln

THey won't support 1000hp on E85.

19. 59megawagon

I am glad i am not running E85 then..

20. Brillko

Sorry for the E85 debate... I was just referencing to show how much Power a 160lbs injector can take with added pressure. My old 468 Chevy had a 2025DB Weldon and that didnt support more than 1200 on pump gas... Was enough to run 7.56 @ 402m. Last time i ran a Electric fuel pump i used Weldons 16000A pump... Great pump ;). Try what you have, it will work. Keep boost low until you had some fun with it...