1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

cam suggestions please

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mookandairin, Jul 25, 2022.

1. mookandairin

My 65 c10 pickup truck has has a big upgrade over the winter and this summer. I ditched the blow thru and installed a sniper xflow 1375, Victor jr. intake, Trick Flow G1 twisted Wedge heads, dana rearend, 4.56 gears, 15x15x30 rear slicks, TH400 w/ transbrake, ladder bars, roll cage. coilovers
    Truck as it sits is a
    65 C10, 355 ci. sbc, 8.5:1 cr, Victor jr. intake, Holley Sniper Xflow 1375 throttle body, Hyperspark ignition, Trick flow twisted wedge G1 heads, twin T3/T4 63mm turbos, air-air cooler, TH400 w/ transbrake, 3500 stall, Dana 60 rearend, 4.56 gears, 15x15x30 rear slicks, spool, ladder bars, 8.50 cage, and coilovers all the way around.
    I need to get a cam yet but really have no idea what I should be looking for as far as a hyd. roller goes. I have one in it but after the face realize it has too much lift and will coil bind, my heads are saying max lift will be about .550 and Ya, I need a different cam
    I could use a little insight as to what would work for me off the shelf
    Thanks a ton

2. Disney Lincoln

Would it not be easier or more cost effective to just fix the heads to work with the cam you already have?

B E N likes this.
  3. F4K

Let the turbo do the work

Use a low lift cam, slow ramp rate,
    light spring pressure, perhaps ~130lbs closed, this will protect and preserve the valvetrain
    You will not be power limited thanks to the turbo

I'm sure there is a line of truck or low lift turbo cams for the engine
    Find something with 214-224* @.050 duration , low lift , I would think this ideal

4. Mnlx

What are the current cam specs? T3 turbines on that combo could really benefit from a properly spec'd cam. I would start there.

5. mookandairin

Thanks for the replies. Makes choosing a different one a lot easier. From what I’ve read here and there trying to get a grasp on cam selections turbo motors seem to do very well on treating them like NA motors. Thanks for the insight. These dam cam advertisements get your head going round and round making you forget about what’s really going on with high lift/ duration LSA etc. big numbers to sell more cams I suppose.
    Thanks again

6. Mnlx

They do quite well with na type cam grinds if you have enough turbine. Twin t3's on an aftermarket headed 355 may want more of a "turbo" cam.

tbird and B E N like this.
  7. F4K

The atmosphere is just a supercharger with 100% Adiabatic efficiency set to 14.5psi at sea level

There is no difference between boost pressure and natural aspiration in terms of moving air molecules in or out of an engine, the engine has no way to tell the difference at the valve or intake water hammer tuning.

What Mnlx says makes conceptual sense about turbines because for the atmospheric pressure we have equal pressure on both intake and exhaust. So with 'enough turbine' you could have a intake:exhaust pressure ratio similar to 1:1 like with an atmosphere, making it work identically VE cylinder fill wise to an atmospheric camshaft profile.

8. MrBelvedere

Cam should give you the best power and driving characteristics you desire. It will behave the same under boost as naturally aspirated.

If the NA combo makes more power it will be more powerful, at a lower boost level, than an equivalent na combo making less power.

If you need good street driving manners for regular driving then smaller duration is a good idea. You can crank boost to make more power.

9. tbird

Are you looking for roller or flat tappet?