1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Compound turbo for 2022 6.7

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by KW61, Aug 20, 2022.

1. KW61

I'm waiting for my new 2022 6.7 F450 Cab & Chassis DRW 4x4
    I'm planing to do these upgrades: 4.88 gears, 2 stroker fuel pumps (w disaster prevention kit), lift pump, bigger radiator, bigger intercooler, cold air intake, coolant filter, engine oil bypass filter, engine & trans oil cooler with Electric Fan, bigger alum pans.
    And of course custom tunes. (probably soft egr del.)

100% only for towing (48 ft. 5'th wheel step deck). Never street or play.

2022 F450 w 4.3 gears is rated for 37k towing. I'll upgrade to 4.88
    The plan is to drive 10h/day, towing 50-55k, at 65-80 mph
    (I already know that it's not possible, or that F650 / F750 would be better or that class 8 would be best. Or that most of the mods are flashy and useless)

But if you would buid a compound turbo for this truck, what will you recommend?
    For the smaller turbo, what VGT will you recommend?
    For the big turbo, should I go w. S480 or what else would you recommend?
    Is S485 or S488 too big ?

2. bbi_turbos

Compounds all depend on the hp you want. Also the valley turbo needs compressor setup for it, breathing atmospheric pressure vs boosted air is 2 different things.

3. KW61

To be honest I'm not really focused on HP.
    All I want is to is to drive 10h/day, towing 50-55k, at 65-80 mph
    From the research that I did, I need around 1800 ft/lbs of torque. So for that I ques I need 800-900 HP.
    If you would do a compound turbo?
    What would you put?

4. bbi_turbos

Compounds are my specialty, so much so I have 3 trucks coming in this year for some custom compounds. My biggest one yet is a compound caterpillar c15 putting down 1300hp @ a stupid 1700rpms.

Your 1800lbs/ft of torque at the factory 1600rpms will require 65psi of boost, you'll already be making 550hp at that point, up from ~320 in factory tune.

Before I go any farther with the calcs, I want to make a note that I haven't made any comments to your goal, whether it's possible, ridiculous, etc. But I do want to say that if your planning on seriously doing this at this level, then there's a couple recommendations I'd like to make in order for it to live at this level reliably.

1) the low pressure (big one, atmosphere) turbo should be ball bearing in order to keep oil heat down. This will lessen the load on the cooling stack, as well as keeping the oil system happy. Ball bearing turbos require way less oil volume than regular journal bearing ones.
    2) some sort of stage cooling should be done instead of relying on just the intercooler to do it all. A couple ways is water injection between turbos, a water to air intercooler between turbos, or a water to air intercooler after the turbos using either engine coolant or a seperate cooling system.
    3) titanium compressor wheel for the valley charger. Running at this level for long periods will disintegrate the aluminum compressor wheel. It's the exact reason why cat used them on their twin turbo engines, and have easily gotten 1+million miles on them before rebuild. I know your not looking to go a million miles, but its absolutely necessary if you want a set to perform and stay performing getting run that hard.

5. KW61

Wow, that is actually extremely impressive.

That sounds great.
    - Can both turbos have ball bearing?
    - Can I find a VGT (for the high pressure) with ball bearing?

2022 6.7 ford has two radiators. In 2020 they did some changes and now the second radiator only cools the CAC and fuel cooler.
    And the CAC it's a liquid to air. If you think it's necessary I could put a another CAC in between turbos, fed by the same second radiator.

Again sounds great.
    Can all the wheels be titanium?
    Or, are they really, really, really expensive?

Do you have any recommendations when it comes to wheels sizes?

Thank you

6. bbi_turbos

I would have to have the 2020-2022 turbo in my hands to tell you whether it could become ball bearing or not. I have converted a couple other turbos to ball bearing, it's usually not a cheap or easy process.

Yes both wheels can be titanium, although there isn't any benefit to having titanium in the low pressure other than it sounds badass.

I'll have sizes and stuff in a bit....

7. bbi_turbos

Ok here's what I got.

I still need to get a 2020-2022 vgt turbo in my hands to see what needs done to it, but as far as I can tell it's a AVNTgt3582 turbo, which so far is spec'ing out perfect for your 1600rpm torque goal. Peak torque is almost peak efficiency, which is great for towing. But it will almost 100% need worked over some for higher rpm running.

Low pressure turbo, the s400 is too small. I'm coming up with a gt55 with a 1.0a/r housing, 88mm compressor. This will be small at full boost at max rpms, so a wastegate will be required. I can make the gt55 flow close to what's needed for wot, but you'll lose the torque down low.

Numbers were done with 100° ambient temp, which is the hardest to keep things cool. Numbers line up with 1:1 drive: boost ratio at 1600rpms, if there's no dpf. With a dpf you'll most likely always have higher drive than boost.

If your on Facebook, lookup Blackbird Innovations, I don't post alot for a couple reasons. To busy to worry about taking pics, and most of the stuff is custom and the customers don't want their "secret" being shown.
    You can message me on there also.