1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ebay turbo for parts?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Tbird232ci, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Tbird232ci

Alright guys, I'm looking for some input.

I'm in the process of gathering some money for get a header built for my Shelby Charger. These cars came with a Chrysler specific turbo flange, along with the 5-bolt flange. I'm having the header build with a standard T3 flange, external gate, and 5-bolt flange with a 3" elbow and downpipe.

With this, I would need a turbo. I'm not unwilling to spend money, but if I can be slightly thrifty, I can get this done a bit quicker, and it'll go more smoothly with the girlfriend, as we are wanting to get out of our apartment and into a house in the next few years.

I thought about getting an ebay turbo briefly, and started to search hear, and all of the other turbo forums that I'm on. General consensus is that the bearings and tolerances are crap. A few guys have used the compressor components from one to build a Super60, and said the balance was way off on the China components. Also saw a few where the compressor nut backed off. I then realized that they don't have water cooled centers.

That is where I came up with my current idea. I have a few T3 cores. I'm thinking about getting the best suited ebay hybrid for the car I can. I'd like to disassemble the ebay turbo, and send out the components to gpop shop to get balanced, and have them send me a rebuild kit. Then use the T3 center to build the hybrid.

So how does this sound? Basically using the ebay hybrid for the wheels, housings and shafts, getting everything balanced, and using a quality rebuild kit for good bearings and seals.

2. tbaggins

I have ebay turbos. I had some oil problems in the beginning but they are sorted out and I am very happy with them, especially because they were 200 each, while name brand were 700 plus. If you buy from CxRacing, they have a 1 year warranty as well (not sure how solid it is).

3. Drac0nic

Have actually heard of more than a few people run these with good results. Then again, the other thing I'd do is look for a .60/.63 off of a Tbird, or even do a turbine swap of your current turbo if it's "right" for the engine.

Lastly, what about a Holset? They run 2-300 typically, and an HX35/HY35 would probably be pretty badass on that engine if you've already got a good set of bolt-ons.

4. half-fast

ran two of the internally gated t3/t4's without of prob just make sure you have good drain size

5. Tbird232ci

I'm liking the good reviews so far. Once I gather a bit of money to get my header done, I'll be scouring ebay to find the best suited hybrid for my application.

I did consider the Tbird turbo briefly, but when I had my Turbo Coupes, I ran an SC50 with either a Stage 2 or 3 turbine, and even on a mostly stock 2.3L, it worked VERY well. I blew the turbo, put a .60/.63 T3 on it, and it spooled maybe 300rpm sooner, and didn't make the overall power as the SC50. If I had a ported head, a cam, etc, I would understand the power loss due to overall flow, but after that, I decided that I'd rather go right to a good hybrid rather than work with stock turbos.

Holsets, while there is nothing wrong with them, I just don't like them. I have no other reason than just being a hater.

Also, while I'm rebuilding, should I slap a 360* thrust bearing in there?

6. tbaggins

+1 for the drain size. Also control oil pressure or don't drive it before it is warm .

7. luckythirteen13

fwiw, i have run two of the $200 ebay t3/t4 turbos for a while now. made 630rwhp at about 12psi on my motor. new motor has been built so we will see what happens at 20psi. i run a restrictor on the inlet side and a big drain, no oil issues

8. Turbohwagon

I Have the 5 bolt flange for a T3 chrysler turbo made of stainless. I bought it for my 88 shelby Z but i sold it and have no use for it. Send me a private message, i'll sell it to you cheap.