1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cometic HG pushed into coolant jacket? Common?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Forcefed86, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Forcefed86

I've been running this setup at around 30-34 psi for 2 years now without issue. I think I had an fueling problem. I had more of the E85 Goo on the #1 cylinder injector than any of the others. I battle that E85 gunk alot here in KS. I was hoping the build up of goo wouldn't accumulate with the e50. I was wrong!

Also I had just filled up at a blender station with e50. May have gotten some bad fuel. The car started misfiring in boost and seeing knock spikes around 20psi. I let off quickly and think I managed to save the motor. Started to get hot shortly after. You can see where the HG was being pushed out into a coolant jacket. Also distorted pretty badly. Is this common to push a gasket like this? Or does it look like I may have a warped head or deck? Was using ARP studs torqued to 70 ft lbs w/ 30wt oil.

I believe this is a cometic gasket? Not sure 100% it was new and still in the package. Got it in trade along with many other parts. I think i'll go with the OEM MLS gasket this time around. Maybe even a factory graphite type.

Anyway here is the carnage... enjoy.

2. BoostedBadBoy

What block and heads are you using? And are you using dowels still? I wouldn't say MLS pushing into coolant is common but if you had a bunch of surge spikes and misfires I'd say that is definitely what caused it. Especially at that high of PSI having detonation like that. Honestly surprised the motor held together with that shit having no where to go. I'd take a flat edge before putting new HG's back on and just see what your surfaces are looking like. As far as your fuel goes.. maybe add some stabile? Or something in it? What makes you think its bad fuel besides how its running? Did you test the mixture to see?

3. brianj5600

Have been running it on regular pump gas until recently? I have heard of getting gunk after switching, by not after running it for 2 years.

4. ducatibrian

Just lucky the gasket pushed before you torched a head

5. Forcefed86

4g63 OEM mitsu block and head. Yes I'm using dowels.(new at head install) Doubt I had surge spikes or misfires. Plugs had no indication. The HG was used and the head/deck were only checked with a flat edge by me. It was in spec, but nowhere near perfect. No RA grade stone surfacing of any kind. (low buck build)

Boost in the mid 30's isn't really uncommon for these little motors. After tear down and inspection the head had some questionable areas. It may have just been a lack of clamping force in that area. The bearings aren't hammered and I saw no signs of detonation. (no sanded looking piston faces etc.) I was assuming it was fuel because I have been running this car this way for around 6 months now on an e50 tune. I changed nothing and immediately after a fill up is when the HG let go. Could have been a coincidence. I haven't tested the fuel in a few months there, blender stations lower blends had always been spot on. I'll test whats in my tank shortly. I also had much more 'black goo/tar' build up on the injector of the failed cylinder. This crap is caked on all the injectors, intake runners, and even built up on the pistons.

No it's been on e85 for the last 2 years, e50 for the last 6-8 months. I've always had issues with the 'black goo' on all three of my ethanol cars. It doesn't seem to build up pre injector and my filters are always clean. It's almost like some sort of electrolysis/form changing reaction after it exits the inj. I've read up a ton on the stuff. Seems to be area specific. For each of my drag buds that has the goo theres another that has no issues. They even use the same gas stations!

Suppose so. I just got it back together last night. I went with a graphite gasket this time around. Several guys pushing 600hp on 19$ felpros with ARP studs. Also went with a low mileage overhauled head. It had a great surface on it and hadn't been machined yet. My old head was machined past the wear indicator and had a rough life. Plan to turn the boost down to 28 and drive this thing. It's suppose to be my daily driver. This full weight all option pig trapped 124 with it last time I had it at the strip. :chacha: