1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Coilovers cause Strut Tower distortion?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by xps2, Mar 25, 2004.

1. xps2

I asked the people at Hotchkis what could be done to make their C/C plates coil over worthy, and they responded with this

These C/C plates will not work on that vehicle. We have seen numerous problems with coilover systems on that vehicle. The mounting point for the springs put to much force on the body and will bend the shock mount!

Anyone ever hear of this happening?

2. Barry D.

that translated means the following
    We at Hotchkis run a flexible aluminum plate utilizing a rubber bushing. Since we decided not to produce ours with a steel plate and a metal spherical bearing in the center, it is not capable of supporting the loads that would be centered on the plate in the case of a coilover spring setup.

anyhow, i've heard of it being brought up before but know of tons of folks with them on daily drivers and have run them several years without problems.

3. ShaneH

yes, I've broken hotchkiss cc plates before. Stay away from them with coilovers.

4. MAURICIO

A strut tower brace is recommended when going w/ coil-overs. It makes sense to me because it HAS TO cause more stress on the strut towers. Whether they flex alot or a little, I don't know but a strut tower brace adds insurance and peace of mind, in my opinion.

5. fast4d

hotchkiss?

you've got to be kidding me

6. 90coupe

I bought a set of Maximum Motorsports CC plates. They are quite beefy.

7. TurboSN95

Screw Hotchkiss. One of my biggest enemies' last names is Hotchkiss and I would never buy their product because of him. Now I am seeing a direct correlation between him and this company. I bought MM's CC plates, they are VERY nice, and now I see Steeda makes a set that utilizes 4 bolts too.

8. kazlx

I have MM camber plates with coilovers all the way around. I would recommend their product to anyone. I believe they produce some of the best quality products in the industry.

9. 89coupe

I run MM CC plates as well, without a strut tower brace. No problems here.

10. 8urls1

havnet had a problem with mine.

i run the hotchkis with no issue on my coil over setup on the 95 .. take a good look in the pictures of it in the magazine

11. Turbostangman

How many stock vehicles now come with a direct coil over Mc Pherson strut system. I see no real difference in the structures of the strut towers between those vehicls and a mustangs.

The main difference is that most use a upper strut bearing to cary the load placed on this load bearing spot. Sometimes these bearings fail, which is expected at some point.

If they don't recomend their product for something, then certainly by all means use it for that application. The manufacturer of a product never knows its limitations and have no idea of what it is they are talking about, but some of us are smarter than they are. :tard:

12. coupe 88

what set up where you running on your car?

i got some hotchkiss camber plates but they are not installed yet and im going to use coil overs,
    this freaks me out.

should i get some other ones???

13. coupe 88

so what do the people using hotchkiss say about this>?????????

14. TwinTurboStrokr

???

I switched from Maximum Motorsports CC plates to the Hotkiss about 2 years ago and have been running a Griggs front end for about 8 years. I also have the QA1 coilovers and haven't had any issues, but I'm gonna be on alert.

15. dman

I have used the UPR billet CC plates for years and had no trouble.

16. coupe 88

17. ShaneH

The Hotchkiss ones I had were made in about 96. I don't know if the design has changed since then. They had a washer welded inside the mount which was the sole support for the strut. Mine broke the washers lose. There was just enough bind when the front end lifted that it wouldn't let the strut slide down and out thankfully.

18. TurboShortBus

Hell, dude...I think your car has seen asphalt, what, maybe a dozen times in the last 8 years? It's hard to break stuff on the "red shelf" when it never sees the street! LOL...givin ya 5hit dude...

Mark

19. TwinTurboStrokr

Hey Shane,

I think I remember you posting about this problem on the Incon list, back in the day when it happened.

Hotkiss did alter the design, and beefed up the plate, but I'm not sure if it's any better.

Mark,

You would be surprized how much the Red Rocket gets driven, I have just retired from the Bithlo scene since it has been counterproductive and somewhat disheartening.
    Your correct my Convertible was somewhat of a garage ornament, but why do you gotta be bringing up old shit. :rolleyes:

20. TurboShortBus

Then cruise that shit over my way! Too good to make it from Bonneville to Winter Park? LOL...I'm in the Seminole County end of town, not the hoity-toity section...I couldn't afford to wipe my ass over there.

So which car has fewer miles...your car or Dave's Incon special?

Mark