1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Coilover Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by stangman9897, Apr 28, 2013.

1. stangman9897

What spring rate do i need for a low street car, when i put the UPR K Member on it i got the 150 springs thinking it would help transfer the weight to the rear. With the blower and low in torque all it did was blow the tires off and don't really see where they helped with that but it drives like shit for a D/D car. As soon as it comes back from the shop im putting new struts and shocks on it and a new & better coilover kit and was wondering what spring rate to use for the street, maybe the 250 and 12" or 14" springs ?

2. stumpjumper

I have the UPR kit w/ 14" and 175 using bilsteins. Not making much power yet, but the ride is pretty good on the street.

3. madspeed

ive got the upr/qa1 coilovers and running 12-250's up front

4. ewoogy

14" 175's here.

5. stangman9897

I don't really call yours a street car as much as a D/D my GT is. When im not in the F450 im driving it everywhere.

6. stangman9897

I would like a set of the QA1 coil over threaded strut setup but shit $500 a side. Plus i was told be a tech member here not to by them because he has had to many leaks with them. I don't understand why other companys are not making threaded body struts and shocks. I think i just saw where QA1 is making them in a steel threaded body now which should be cheaper than the alum one's.
    I was planning on the Strange 10 way adjustable.

7. 1hcam

I have a set of 14/175's if you want to trade

8. NOSLO86

Mine are 12/170's

9. stangman9897

And it's also an 8sec car and not a D/D . lol

10. NOSLO86

It still drives fine on the street. By your signature, doesn't look like a daily driver either?

11. jerseydevil

if the car has big rears and lowered, you'll usually need adjustable mounting points for control arms to get your instant center further back and raise antisquat pecentage, if you want it to hook hard, slicks may be an easy bandaid but not a good solution for the street. at a min you want your lower arm level with ground, preferrably pointing up a few degrees toward the body side. search for a thread by scotts87lx on here, will make your head spin, great thread if you want to better understand what it takes to make a lowered car hook .its not as easy as you might think,most of the low fast cars have the ability to adjust the stock mounting points or are 4link cars. hope this helps

12. stangman9897

This is my 97 GT with a blower not my twin turbo Cobra.

13. stangman9897

Thanks i will read the thread.