1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Co2/Boost controller question. How to make less psi than WG spring?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SILVER-BULLET, Jan 23, 2011.

1. SILVER-BULLET

I have seen some people talking about using Co2 with their boost controllers, and lowering the boost at launch. My setup has dual Tial 38mm gates. I want to run a higher psi spring in the gates, so I can still make a decent amount of boost (18psi or so) when the controller is inactive.

When at the track, the controller/Co2 will be on. I want to launch at 7-10psi and ramp it up to 25psi.

How does the controller take away boost from the spring setting on the WG? I am assuming I will need to hook up the regulated Co2 on both the bottom, and top (through the MSD solenoids).

Sorry for the newbie question. I am trying to get around the MSD's "Drag race only" setup. It has to see power from my brake light switch (stage), and T-brake release 12v before it goes active.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cheers:

2. Andy Dorsett

The CO2 is a high pressure so if you apply it to the gate it will push the gate open independant of manifold pressure.

3. Nisan_Catron

it would seem that you would need a one way valve in the boost line and a bled valve along with the co2 port afterwards...

4. SILVER-BULLET

It will push the gate open if I apply the Co2 to the bottom correct? And add psi (close) when I apply it to the top?

5. SILVER-BULLET

The MSD controller has 2 one way valves. One to regulate pressure to the top of the gate, and one to vent. They have a configuration that includes 2 regulators for the co2. One before the controller side (top), and one before the bottom of the gate.