1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 5.0 turbo or supercharge?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by red88stang, May 18, 2009.

1. red88stang

i just picked up an 88 lx 302 5spd (all stock) to make it a small turbo project.. from what i've read.. i wouldnt need many upgrades am i right?
    im thinking a decent size turbo (not sure of size yet)
    fmu
    better flowing exhuast and fuel injectors
    fuel pump
    blow off valve
    what else would a need for a small project nothing serious just something to learn on, im planing on doing everything myself except maybe taking it for a tune

2. chameleonstang

Do a search. You need injectors and fuel pump for sure. Is the car mass air? If so you need to get a calibrated meter for the injectors.

3. Racinjason81

88 probably not you gotta do a maf conversion

4. jaredsamurai

hence the FMU. Don't need a MAF conversion or any of that. Its a poor way to achieve fuel enrichement under boost but it works. If you go with an FMU at least get a wideband o2 sensor to monitor your fuel/air mixtures.

5. red88stang

yea im thinking the fmu will take care of the air/fuel mix. and yea i was thingking would use a a/f guage to monitor the mixture..
    i want a single turbo setup, any ideas on a decent size? not looking for anyting major just something to have a little fun with.

6. jaredsamurai

62-1 is perfect for stock motor