1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Choosing the right turbo for a twin 370” LS.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by LowWide48, Oct 13, 2022.

1. LowWide48

Hey guys, I’m building a drag and drive style 52 model AD truck. Race week style of racing and some no prep and no time stuff locally.

The engine is a 370” LQ4. Wiseco pistons, Texas Speed crank and rods. CNC ported 243’s on it right now.

I’ve been looking at the VS Racing 6762’s dual v band, dual ball bearing. I was looking at the .83 A/R and was curious if this might get me to my goals. I’m hoping to be in the 8.60-.70 range at 3000lb race weight. So I guess if you wanted to put a number on it, I’d like to see around 1100whp. Am I thinking insanely here? Or somewhat reasonable? Is this turbo a good choice?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mnlx

What rpm range are you targeting? The 62mm turbines seem small.

3. LowWide48

That’s my biggest worry. VS Racing claims 800hp each on the turbos. I’d like to see 7k rpm shifts.

4. bbi_turbos

Go 58/62 and 1.06 housing.

5. LowWide48

I did look at the Precision 5862. But the price hurt my feelings. Lol

6. bbi_turbos

62/62 will work, but go with the 1.06 housing, see here... https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/new-tt-ls-5-3-install-surges-under-acceleration.388075/

Everyone thinks they need to cram the smallest housing on for spool, but forget about what it does to the top end. That thread was a perfect example, he gained power and the engine runs better down low.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's better to run a small turbine with a big housing, vs a big turbine wheel and small housing.

7. Mnlx

He's also talking about racing on poorly prepped surfaces so low speed boost is not super important. He's got a quality rotating assembly, let it rev....

8. Forcefed86

That's ridiculous. Why limit yourself? Put a pair of 78/75s with .96 housings on it and be done. I spool a pair VERY easily on a small cam (stg2 summit) 5.3. They will be in a happier zone on the map and make less heat per pound as well.

Also available in mirror image units. I'd go with the T51R Mirror units. they whistle like an aircraft engine! lol But I'm a child so...

I went with the G3 cast units. They use a much larger S400 style compressor housing. They look mean... but didn't perform any better than the standard smaller Cast 78/75s I ran before. IF space isn't a concern and you want big mean looking turbos, I'd suggest them.

Just be sure you have the correct converter for the job.

upload_2022-11-9_10-59-40.png #ad

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    ummduh, Pro-SC and B E N like this.