1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

turbo cam help

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 408gta, Mar 7, 2017.

1. 408gta

hey guys, im in the process of a 408w single turbo build and wanted to get some feedback on the cam. this build had been a hodgepodge of parts on a budget, and im curious how i should install the cam. heres a rundown of the setup:
    408w stock early block(i know) 10.2:1 scat internals
    tea 220 highports 332/251 @.600
    hp innovations annular dual needle e85 carb /super victor
    s475 96 1.32 t6(might pick up a vs racing 80mm)
    stick car

and the cam i picked up is a comp solid roller
    230/230 @ .050
    .590/.590 w/1.6
    114 lsa
    card says install on 110 icl
    int: 5 btdc 40 abdc
    exh: 53 bbdc 3- atdc

i know its small but it was damn near free and its a brand new billet core. i get the feeling this setup is gonna run outta steam hard above 5800, just trying to figure out if im really screwing myself with the cam. any help is appreciated guys

2. Bad Medicine Racing

I don't know how it applies to a SBF, but the cam in my 6.0 LS is in the 230° range at 0.050", with .600 lift. I buzz it to almost 7k.

408gta likes this.
  3. 408gta

interesting... well, ill keep my fingers crossed. i get the feeling that if my cam doesnt limit me rpm wise, the turbo will. ive seen a few 350-370ish ci motors running similar cams with great success, but im not knowledgeable enough with turbo cams to know if it will be hurting me, i just know its small. i was kinda hoping that the lower duration cam and high flowing/volume heads would make things work well, and be easy on the valvetrain for street use, but what do i know.

4. duplox

I don't think you'll have a problem. I run a significantly smaller cam on a 358" 2v cleveland with a single 67mm turbo, and the rev limiter is the only thing that stops it. I originally set the limiter incorrectly to 6500 and it pulled hard to that limiter.
    My cam is a hyd flat:
    0.509"int/0.509"exh
    [email protected]" int/[email protected]" exh
    114 LSA

You have the same wide LSA, slightly more duration @ 0.050", but significantly more lift/area under the curve due to the solid roller, as well as much better flowing heads. You also have more turbo, especially on the turbine side (I have a 0.81A/R Q-trim T4 turbine...), so I wouldn't be concerned about that choking it off.

5. TTFBDY

you don't have enough turbo. Try the Matchbot on the BW site.
    Guys run 475's on stock 5.3 ls motors.

put a stock 351w with a the FMS 228 (E303?) cam in with that turbo and you'll be happy.

Your cam is fine, if you had a aftermarket block
    lots of ls people with similar specs.

high ports vs 2v cleveland - no comparison.

6. 408gta

yeah, i know its a small turbo, and im expecting the bottom end to pop at some point, so when it does, i was going to drop in a junkyard 351 with pistons and rings while i build my big boy 363 and billet wheel/race cover (80+mm), then i can make some real power. ive played with the matchbot and im not really savvy enough to know how to make some of the inputs work, but ive seen that the 4,5,and 6 points are way out of the turbo graph when i get it as close as i can figure out. i expect a backpressure issue, which is why i was planning on keeping it below 6000rpm.

7. xr8tt

Have similar cam in my 330 . Exh has 4* less duration.. The turbo will make the power.. Being a manual ? I suggest hi-sh compression.. To keep turbo threshold, tractability between off and on boost in lower rpm, light load..

408gta likes this.
  8. 408gta

not sure what you mean by this part. are you suggesting i use higher compression to keep the turbo in boost/ more driveable at low rpm?

9. duplox

What are your goals? Power? Street car, strip car? If you're just planning on running it until it pops... go for it. If the short block holds together and the turbo runs out of steam.. then upgrade your turbo. TTFBDY is probably right, you'll start running out of compressor at some point.
    http://www.turbos.borgwarner.com/go/0JHMBV
    Looks like maybe around 1000hp? Unless I did something incorrect on there.

10. 408gta

thanks, that was a big help. i got similar numbers, although my inputs never made the dots line up in the graph like yours. its a street/strip deal, looking at upsetting some people with my home built junk. getting into the 8s will be the eventual goal when suspension is worked out and stuff. i kinda figured the turbo would help me keep the block intact till the big money mill comes along, this was a leftover short block that i purchased while i was completely broke in college with the intention of spraying it a bit. 1000 at the motor would make me pretty happy at my weight, should move out alright.

11. Mnlx

With your heads, and CID you don't want more cam with that turbo. The more na hp you make the more the 75 will limit HP. Keep the rpm down, and make your HP with boost, everything will be happier. Also, when you upgrade, you'll be looking for more turbine as well imo.

12. Bad Medicine Racing

Turbine should be fine imo. Lots of motors making 1000 and some making 12-1500 through that wheel.

13. Mnlx

There are also some very good combos running the same turbine on 340-360 cid with less head and run the 1.58 ar to keep drive pressures in check. I'm not saying it won't make hp, but its something i'd look into if spending good money on a turbo. With something with modest na hp, and plenty of boost i'd agree, but with 330+ cfm of intake flow this could be a very serious combo.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  14. TTFBDY

Try this
    It's a great example of why not to run too small of a turbo compressor.
    http://www.turbos.borgwarner.com/go/F4P8LZ

The other sim used zero for the intercooler effectiveness. That would mean you're putting 300* air into the motor. And theoretically 900ish HP.
    With e85 and blow through you'll have a very effective intercooling effect.
    Which as you can see moves a lot more air and over speeds the turbo. The dark black lines are shaft speed. This wears the bearings out faster.
    Then when you adjust the compressor eff. based on the new plot the temp jumps to the 380* range 0n the comp outlet temp due to the 50% efficiency.

Move to a bigger turbo that can support that air flow and the compressor eff goes up and airflow goes up for same boost for more power and lower air temps.
    Drive pressure goes down since the shaft rpm is so much lower.
    check the difference in compressor outlet temp and HP.
    http://www.turbos.borgwarner.com/go/BXSCVZ

I've done some thermo calc's and e85 can easily drop that much air from 380 down to 130.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  15. 408gta

you guys are awesome, this is exactly the kind of info i have been looking for. thank you @TTFBDY i have been trying to get the parameters on there right and seeing what you did really helped. basically, my goal is to get the 88mm vs turbo now i think, and make it all work smoothly with as little effort and heat as possible. although i say im planning on the 408 blowing up, id like to keep her alive and enjoy the new build as long as i can, and i think the bigger turbo will be a huge help.

so installing the cam at 110 icl is gonna be best?

ps if anyone wants a brand new in box s475 let me know! haha