1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

check this idea out and let me know??

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by lightningKILLR, Aug 30, 2004.

1. lightningKILLR

what u all think about this idea. turbo under the cab. no cuttin up headers or makin your own....what about oil lines? air filter under my tonneau cover to keep dry/ clean? i know the hotter the expanding exaust gas the better, but it really wouldnt cool down that much would it? keep the turbo as close to the headers as possible... not to sure about the intercooler placement either...let me know some opinions!!!:)

2. 68Roadrunner

3. Traction Issuez

Kinda tight in that dakota engine compartment isn't it? I fabbed up a couple of sets of headers for one of those and I can see why you're wanting to put it outside the engine bay.
    Anyway, yeah, it'll work to put it somewhere else. HOWEVER, an oil pump to return the oil is going to be mandatory and if you're going to put the filter in the bed, make sure there's a vent on the cover
    issuez

4. Duner

That remote mounted setup might be alright just to play with. But it certainly won't be ideal by any stretch of the imagination.

Do you bracket race your truck?

If so you won't be happy with a remote turbo setup at all. Since the turbo's efficiency and power output is largly dependent upon the actual temp of the turbo - a remote mounted turbo will be as inconsistent as can be. Even my setup with the turbo mounted right on the manifold will have about a full tenth swing in times just based upon turbo temp. The hotter it gets the quicker it gets. At the track everybody else is pushing their cars and trucks thru the staging lanes... and I leave mine idling to build heat. Another issue will be turbo lag. If you never back out of the throttle on a pass it might work OK. But if you're bracket racing - let out of the throttle for a split second and decide you need to get back into the throttle it might be too late. Even a half a second's worth of extra lag is going to make a huge difference in that situation.

5. lightningKILLR

i mean i have a set of JBA headers and i am a welder so i know i could do it..but like u said there isnt any room...i could make room, but i dont wanna hack to much up...what kinda pump u talkin about issuez?

duner, i dont bracket race at all... ya i remeber readin about the hotter the expanding exaust gas the better so thats y im kinda skeptical...but i'd really have to squeeze it in the engine bay, that 360 takes up alot of space, esp. since i wanna keep the a/c and PS on it...and if it got really hot in the bay im sure it would melt something...i'd have to put blankets everywhere...

heres a dak and i like the setup but i dont have enuff room like that one:(

6. Traction Issuez