1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

car runs too hot at track, need input!

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by D347643, Jul 29, 2008.

1. D347643

ok guys, ill make it short and sweet....

im running high 10's at 7 psi, total timing is 23 degrees on pump. My car gets up to almost 220 degrees by the time i make it to the other end of the track. MY trans temp stays about 200. I cant imagine its a cooling issue (3 row rad w/mk7 elec fan.)

These are the things im leaning towards....

1. oil is getting way too hot which is causing the coolant to get really hot also

2. timing issue

input? I dont have an oil cooler or anything....

Drew

2. Bellman Jeff

Have you got an air to air intercooler up front ??

Are you really sure your gauge is reading right ??

3. D347643

yes i have an front mount intercooler and i truly think my engine is getting that hot. I viewed it on my autometer water temp gauge AND on the pms sensor display.

could it be the oil? The car doesnt ping or anything at all, i cant imagine its NOT ENOUGH timing either

4. fordman2121

what is the temp before the run? have you had the cooling system open recently were you could still have some air pockets? do you have the wrong rotation waterpump on it do ya? i cant see the oil getting that hot that quick to heat up the oolant that fast.

5. D347643

when im in the staging lane its its always 186 degrees. Water pump is moroso electric...

6. Gen1SVE

I would suspect the electric water pump, flow, voltage or somthing. Is there a way you can test the colling system with a mechanichal pump or verify flow and voltage of the electric pump?

7. tonym

how is it on the street?

8. flynbrian

My N/A car runs 220 at the end of the track on a run too. Turbo's build alot of heat... I wouldnt consider 220 to be too hot at all...If it was 240+ I would worry,

As long as it cools down with a minute or two of running afterwords I wouldnt be alarmed. If it just keeps getting hotter then there is a problem.

9. D347643

its fine on the street i have a dccontrol box regulating my elec fan and unless its really hot it never gets over 186. Its not like i do a full 1/4 mile pull on the street either.....

yes it cools down and is usually back down to 190 degrees by the time im getting my timeslip.

I'm thinking of getting an oil cooler anyway, whatcha guys think?

10. tonym

so from the end of the track to the timeslip, it goes back to normal? dont worry about it

11. tonym

also, where is your temp sending unit?

12. fordman2121

if your that worried about then get an oil cooler but it sound like your fine. it wouldnt hurt anything to put an oil cooler on plus it would give you another quart of oil to work with

13. D347643

my autometer sending unit is up front and the pms reads from the stock sensor which is also in the front of the intake

yeah i want to get an oil cooler but shit im running out of places to put coolers. I have my front mount and dual trans coolers haha.

14. fordman2121

mount it horzontally and put a diverter under the car to pull air through it ive seen it before and thought about it on my truck but i found a spot up front instead