1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

dfx centerforce clutch

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by allmotor65stang, Dec 4, 2006.

1. allmotor65stang

what do u guys think of centerforces DFX clutch for a 65 mustang..because right now im making 500+hp to the wheels and im in need of a new cluch and i dont wantg to spend like 800+ for twin disk one...

2. thrillrr

I don't care for them , My cousin had one that lasted 700 miles on an 03 cobra and they were supposed to replace it under warranty. We shipped it to them and are waiting for them to ship it back, that was about 5 months ago :bah:.He has since sold the car. If it was me I would go with a Spec, I 've had good luck with them and they have pretty good customer service.

3. Chris Barnes

I have a 26 spline DFX on my twin turbo 99 cobra. Making around 650 at the crank now and love the clutch. It's a 100% street car, so I was very particular about the clutch. In fact, I removed a mcleod street twin after about 600 miles because I couldn't deal with the chatter. I put the CF DFX in with a steel flywheel and never looked back. I've put around 1,000 street miles on the car while beating the shit our of it the entire time. ZERO chatter, light pedal.
    I talked to a couple of guys at CF, and they told me the key was to use a steel flywheel on the street. Not sure if this is why it's so nice to drive, but it is? We're turning the boost up from 9lbs to 13 on saturday, so I'll let you know how it holds. However, I don't anticipate any issues.
    Also, I'm running a 315/35/18 drag radial on a 3,800lb car with me in it.

4. allmotor65stang

what size disk are u running im in need of a 10.5 or what cf calles it 10.4..

5. Chris Barnes

It's the 10.5" clutch. Using the orange DF pressure plate with the weights.
    One more important thing to consider. Make SURE when you install this clutch or ANY clutch that your bell housing is indexed. This is the process of making sure your bell is centered off the crankshaft centerline. I'm told this is extremely critical on any of these setups. Mine was quite a bit out when I checked mine with a Lakewood scattershield. I ended up having to grind some material off some of the alignment dowels to get it right.
    I can't recall the specification for "runout" on these, but I think it's like .007 total or less. Not too big of a deal to adjust if it's not right, just takes time with the dial indicator and some patience.

Good luck!

6. allmotor65stang

aight thanks for the info..centerforce just has to ship it to me now...it should me in a couple days till i get it.... :2thumbs:

7. allmotor65stang

so what do u guys think of a spec clutch...

8. allmotor65stang

some1 use spec what do u guys think of them

9. svooh

It's a good clutch. Robust, strong, and remember...the logo is a blue-oval ;)