1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BOV springs

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by clark115, Jan 12, 2011.

1. clark115

i just installed a tail Q BOV on a blow thru carb setup. should the BOV open with the car idling? if i rev the engine and let off the throttle the vacuum goes to almost 20" of Hg but the valve doesn't open. i have the natural spring. i think it is set for 10 psi. i think i need a lighter spring? thanks

2. 302f150

I say not open at idle because unfiltered air will be sucked in. Lots of people do it. Does it open after you build boost and let off the throttle? If it does and you get no compressor surge its fine. It takes air pushing on the valve plus vacuum to open it, revving it might not make enough airflow

3. clark115

ok i'll have to check as soon as i'm able to get to the track. hope the snow will be gone soon and the weather gets a little warmer

4. clark115

went out to the track sunday and the BOV opened like it was supposed to. ran a best of 6.24 in the 1/8 at 109. didn't get a good 1/4 pass spun the tires but the trap speed was a 131 so things are looking good

5. wantabe

mine doesn't open ??

6. NME308

Both my turbo cars have the BOV open at idle and they do NOT suck air in!
    There is actually a stiff breeze coming out of the BOV! :2thumbs:

Cheers,
    Jason

7. wantabe

thats lionals 'serect' method..... ssshhhhh