1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cheap metal heat shields

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by BlackMagic94, Jan 17, 2011.

1. BlackMagic94

I need some inexpensive heat shields to mount near my COPs which are mounted on the valve covers. I see this stuff all the time on new vehicles its a tin looking panel that bends easy. Any thoughts or links?

2. Drac0nic

I thought there was a sticky in DIY or some place. Guy on Supraforums made one out of a stainless pot. Me, I'm probably going to use some of the old heater ducting I have laying around here that looks about the size of my GN turbine housings. Either that or pony up for blankets.

3. BlackMagic94

I just need flat panel that is probably 8" wide by the whatever the length of the VC is.

4. BlackMagic94

And it has to be easy to bend into shape.

5. revn351

When I worked at the Ford dealer that had a bulletin for crown Victoria police cars. They would put a thin sheet of tin(?) With some mat. It had an adhesive back to it. Maybe if you go ask the dealer they will know what is. If I remember it was under ten dollars.

6. turbofreek

They make a flat exhaust tube for dryer vents that can be manipulated. Satin finish and cheap as dirt. Or just get some sheet aluminum and bend to your liking.

7. BlackMagic94

I found some stuff today that is exactly what I was referring too, its either Alum or SS that sandwiches a thermal material in the middle, but the SS stuff is like 80 dollars a sheet of 9x21", so again where does this stuff come from for cheap because no way is Chysler putting yards of this stuff on 17k Calibers at that price.

8. cat herder

Get a short-ish piece of galvanized HVAC ducting, it's easy to cut with tin snips or even old scissors you don't like very much. Cut two pieces, and sandwich a sheet of woven fiberglass inbetween, stick the two pieces together with a few pop rivets (the fewer rivets the better).

9. BlackMagic94

Interesting idea. Requires a lot of fab work and time, still prefer to be lazy and cheap on this.

10. cat herder

It'd take longer to drive to the home improvement store and back than it would to make the thing. Seriously. Make a cardboard template, cut out two pieces of tin, cut fiberglass mat to fit, put in 4 pop rivets.

11. revn351

that's what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can get you a part number tomorrow from Ford. I know it was cheap since it was a recall. I think they were sheets 8x6.

12. bbfhnj

you can get a patch panel that is like 12"x12" it already has the fiberglass backing and a woven mat to cover that. I used them when I was doing HVAC. what about looking up something for the diesel, Its crazy the amount of heat shields they have on those things.

13. Drac0nic

Go to the yard and try to find a shield on a muff you can swipe?