1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cheap ebay wastegates

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by neruve, Jul 20, 2017.

1. neruve

What larger 50-60mm ebay wategates are people using and do any have a decent track record? Anyone try one of the stainless ones from wyntonm?

Slpr74f250 likes this.
  2. joeleodee

Like anything, these are hit and miss. You'll see guys running them with no problems as is, guys who clean up the clearances for better reliability, and guys who have had theirs fail causing catastrophic damage to everything in its wake. For me, I spent the extra money as a little better insurance to protect everything. The wastegate is not an area to take chances.

3. Mnlx

Good gates are the way to go, but for some its just not in the budget. As far as I know the gates that Viren at vs racing sells have been a decent piece. Many of the efi systems (if going efi) have some overboost protection, or you can somewhat tune your own in (also blow thru with programmable ign)

4. Forcefed86

What is the setup? Sure you need that large of a gate? Many times 2 small 38mm gates work better IMO. Easier to plumb and more effective than one huge gate that’s hard to find space for in the ideal location.

It’s a super simple mechanical valve. No need to spend big bucks on it if it’s not in the budget.

IMO they are all pretty much the same. Take them apart and basically use a little common sense. If anything is obviously wrong sent it back.

Make sure the valve fits tight in the bushing, but not so tight it hangs. You want it nice and free with little to no play.

Make sure there are no burrs on the valve shaft

Lap the valve and seat to insure a good seal

Put some high temp grease on the valve shaft.

Use locktite on the screws that hold the vac/boost chamber on.

Ensure there are no tears on the diaphragm.

If the gates in good shape and you do all this it should hold up great. Even the cheap ones in my experience. Pop it off on a yearly basis and look at it for preventative maintenance.

jmoffitt likes this.
  5. jmoffitt

I run twin 44mm gates from Viren at VS. I disassembled, checked seat and diaphragm, de-burred here and there, and slathered some high temp anti seize on the shaft (phrasing). Good to go. I know they are Chinesium and can be had cheaper, but I prefer dealing with Viren and his outstanding customer service.

6. neruve

@Forcefed86 THanks for the info! Its just a vortec headed 350 with a GT45 (that's the current plan at least) Looking for 5-600 at the tires. (lower will be fine but thats what I'm shooting for). As budget friendly as possible. Do you think I would be better off running two smaller gates? Also does anyone know if the GT45 ebay specials are twin scroll and if there is a benefit to running dual gates and seperate pipes to the turbo from each bank?

7. Forcefed86

The GT45’s are twin scroll. There are small gains to be had keeping the system divided.

With those power goals I’d run 2” pipe from each manifold to one side of the scroll. Each bank with its own cheapie 38mm gate. The small piping will help more with spool than anything. It’s cheaper and easier to package as well. Keeping the system divided cuts down on interfering exhaust pulse by half. Not near as good as a true twin scroll design, but there is some minor improvement. Not having to make a merge pipe is also easier IMO.

8. jmoffitt

Agreed, individual runners and wastegates for each bank, much easier than a merge and a large single gate. I have done both and prefer the former.

9. neruve

I will use the two smaller gates then. Are my power goals realistic? It will be a 9:1 350 with vortec heads and either the summit 1103 or 1104 cam with the GT45

Still in the air on the cam and I'm wondering what the rpm range will be on the top end. I don't want it to choke off. I'm hoping I can spin it to 6000 or a little more.

10. Forcefed86

Should make 500-600 if you can keep it out of detonation.

11. neruve

Do you guys have any pictures of your twin-gate merges? I'd like to see how the wastegates are placed.

12. Forcefed86

Twin gate merge? The purpose of running 2 gates it to remove the “merge”. You run each bank to 1 side of the scroll.

Here is my basic setup. Driver side is just a standard aft facing stock manifold. 2 38mm “mini” EMusa gates. This is 2” mild steel pipe on a 370” motor. Making roughly 1000hp at the crank.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

cheap junk hacked together by a poor welder! ;)

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. neruve

Yes, sorry i guess merge wasn't the correct terminology. That was exactly what I wanted to see. I think I am going to use the curved ram horn manifolds. So like a truck ram horn not the corvette style. Either two driver side ones for driver/pass flipped to go into the GT45.