1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cheap Ebay turbo kits

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by TT_702, Sep 15, 2007.

1. TT_702

New to the forum and I have searched to see if anyone has any experience with the in-expensive twin kits on E-Bay. Anyone install? Are they junk??

2. Chances50

I have one but, I havent installed them yet but, everything looks real Nice and the turbos are tight doesnt seem to be any shaft play at all.

3. turboed351

i can say from expirence there junk. you want reliability go with a brand name kit. i have a precision turbo 70mm kit. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

4. J Mac0123

Dont bother, do it right the first time. I highly recomend hellion,its pricy but it is well worth it.. and it certainly is true, you get what you pay for!

5. petejennen

:agree: you get what you pay for................ :'(

6. R1ERIC

i've read feed back on the ebay kits and most say that the headers crack at the welds in several places, i think one guy said that he found five leaks on one side!JUNK!!!!

7. rickyhaiber

ebay kits work great, don't be afraid to get one because they actually are top quality for a cheaper price because every other turbo company just rips people off a lot and ebay doesn't

8. Millhouse

Edited for my lack (and R1ERIC's) of the ability to convery and perceive sarcasm. :D

9. Explorer5.0

I see you are finally giving in :)

10. rickyhaiber

Definately. I used to get on these threads and spill my heart out on how I feel about the kits. Now I just don't have it anymore...the noobs have won the battle and are just too persistent asking about these things every day lol.

11. quick5liter

Should a basic competency test have to be passed before posting on ther newbie forums? I think many of these generic questions could be formatted into a quiz that must be passed in order to post on this forum. :2thumbs:
    All answers could come from the results of the search function!!
    Just an idea ;)

12. Matt Cramer

Well, if we wanted to make a quiz on some things I've seen come up here and on some other message board discussions, I'd be glad to help. :D Here's a few sample questions for the quizzes:

Is a no-name eBay turbo right for me?

Your basic goal is:
    A. To build a top notch, all out race motor.
    B. To get reliable street power on a budget.
    C. To compete in the Grassroots Motorsports $2007 Challenge.
    D. To win the "Most Spectacular Failure" award at the Grassroots Motorsports $2007 Challenge.

How well can you read a compressor map?
    A. I just trust the seller to chose the turbo that's right for my application.
    B. I use one of those online calculators.
    C. Better than most people can read street maps.
    D. Not only can I read them, I've got a flowbench and can make a new compressor map in case the seller just ripped one off from Garret.

Are you willing to redo any welding on the turbo kit in case some of the welds aren't good enough to last?
    A. Yes
    B. Yes

Is compound turbocharging right for me?
    (Does not apply to the diesel crowd)

Your pistons are made from...
    A. Cast hypereutectic alloy
    B. Forged aluminum
    C. Forged unobtanium

Your MAP sensor goes up to...
    A. What MAP sensor? I'm running a stock ECU with a MAF.
    B. ...3 bar.
    C. ...4 bar.
    D. ...eleven, like in Spinal Tap.

13. studlyisme

I thought this was the newbie forum where people are supposed to be nice when asked questions like this? not sarcastic and misleading...

14. PEARL MUSSIN

The Ebay turbo kits are cheap... Buy one and try it out it might work great it might be shit. Unless you have either ran one or know someone who has one I wouldnt comment.. I think there are a couple of people running these on this site, look in the diy section or the builds section. Hell if it works for you great if not your not out too much money. Look in the builds section for turbostang...

Everyone used to bash the Masterpower T-70's too but now seems like everyone runs them and loves them :noidea: Same deal with the knock off BOV and wastegates. ALOT of people have ran them with great success. I dont jump on the bashing bandwagon like some people do on here.. They bash everything without knowing anything about the product.

Jeremy

15. Explorer5.0

Well, I try to be nice to all posting in the newbie section- but we also like people to search before they start posting. I am not trying to be a jerk to you I promise, but this question literally gets asked at least 1-2 times a week here. There are also no fewer than two builds going on right now with the eBay twin kits.

16. PEARL MUSSIN

This is the Newbie section, its not to bash people or tell them SEARCH... These are newbies posting if you have some insight on thier problem or question GREAT if not hang out in the Turbo or tech section.. Im not trying to be a dick either but this used to happen ALOT before the newbie section came around. It is a newbie section, so quit the bashing... If they go on the Turbo tech ot other tech and ask silly questions they are fair game ;)

Jeremy

17. Matt Cramer

I don't mean to bash somebody who doesn't know about no name eBay turbos - but I figure making fun of some of the low quality parts out there is fair game. The trouble with the eBay turbos is that (1) they're made in several different factories in China, so it's quite possibly that the quality may be a grab bag, and (2) it's pretty hard to tell what you're getting. I have used some of the no-name eBay turbo parts before - an intercooler (actually pretty decent), charge piping (OK, except the mandrel bends seem to be +- 5 degrees of what they were supposed to be), and a knock-off of an HKS blow off valve (very inferior to the genuine article). I've also emailed a seller who was very clueless about what a turbo map is (he was recommending the same turbo for a 1.6 liter Scion and a 350 smallblock Chevy!). And there's the infamous SS Autochrome epoxy turbo episode.

Until there's some good evidence that the sellers have taken steps to keep bizarre garbage like the glued together turbo out of what they sell, I'd say the no-name turbos are very much "use at your own risk" items. It's quite possible that there may be some good stuff out there with the turbos, but with the sellers popping up and disappearing so often and with some known bad turbos out there, it's hard to tell how to avoid the bad stuff.

18. rickyhaiber

+1

19. ctx97

Seems like the biggest thing with the ebay kits are the cheap ass generic manifolds they offer. They do crack because they are weak and usually thin.

20. enyawix

BS hellion is over priced. go to your local parts store and buy a turbo. Print the Junkyard Single/ Twin Turbo list for when they ask what car.

Auto Zone sells Porsche, FORD T-Bird, BUICK, and CHRYSLER turbos. Sorry I only ask for a few the shop started to get a line.