1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I want to turbo a low-compression vintage engine for low-end torque

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Wild Turkey, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Wild Turkey

Yeah, sometimes I don't do things the easy way. Maybe I sniffed too many diesel fumes from the Poppin' Johnnies I drove when I was young. That's where I got my love of low-end TORQUE!

I've got a 401 GMC Big Block 60-degree V-6 I want to put in my '49 Willys PU. (Please don't beat up on my engine choice; I have my reasons.) The stock '60's era numbers are 377 @ 1400 rpm lb-ft gross torque and 205 @ 3200 rpm gross HP. Bore/Stroke is 4.87 in. - 3.58; CR. is 7.5:1. Yes, there are numerous engines that would be "better" but give an old man (I'm 73) his eccentric tastes. I think it would be a blast to drive down the road with engine chuckling at 1500 rpm. And yes, I will have to fabricate an intake manifold; the one it has is for a harvester (New Idea?).

We had turboed tractors and irrigation engines on the farm, but I was not involved in setting them up; I was too busy keeping them running.

So I want my boost from off-idle to 3-4K.

So how do I size my turbo to do this? I assume it will take a small turbo. Will there be extra plumbing for waste gate, etc? Or would a blower be a better option?

Not looking for specifics yet--just getting ready to pull the truck out of the weeds and mud but I need to know if it's possible before I build motor mounts, etc.

I appreciate any help/advice on this. Yes, I'm a crazy old coot but that's what makes life interesting!

2. 91turboterror

making boost off idle using a turbo on a gas engine is hard on parts. You might be better off with a 6-71 .

B E N likes this.
  3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

+2. First thing I thought of was do it like you would flathead, a supercharger. It seems more appropriate for this type of application.

B E N likes this.
  4. 20112011Cummins

Sounds like it would be really fun. I've never seen one of these, a little before my time. Apparently people have done some decent upgrades to them which might help unless you want it to look period correct (holley, hei, etc.)

http://6066gmcguy.com/gmcv6a.html <- no affiliation, found with google

I say turbo it. I bet it would be a lot of fun and it's not like it will be lacking for torque as is. Twins would package off a pretty simple manifold and look really cool.

I'm sure somebody with more experience will chime in with a good recommendation on sizing.

5. Wild Turkey

Talking to Magnus about one of their 2.9's. Got a lot of reading to do.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I will have more questions I'm sure.

6. Wild Turkey

There's a forum for them -- you found the reference page. Lots of good information there.

7. tbird

Hx35

20112011Cummins likes this.
  8. 20112011Cummins

As twins?

9. bbi_turbos

Nope, single would work fine, gt35 would work as well to.

Although neither would be as good as a blower for boost less than 10-12psi.

10. Mnlx

Turbo it, but I think you need some realistic goals.... Boost from any form of compressor will be hard on parts at low rpm, especially with such a large bore. I'd personally look for boost to start at ~2000 rpm, peak at 2500-3000, and run it to 4000. Keep boost low, or use an ebc to ramp in more boost above 3000 rpm.

B E N and 20112011Cummins like this.
  11. 20112011Cummins

What trans are you thinking about using?