1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Boost leak test question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Joe5, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Joe5

Would a $60 turbo boost leak tester be the best way to find a boost leak? I know people make them out of pcv and supplies, but with the cost of everything going up. I don't have access to an air compressor but I have the portable Milwaukee tire inflator which lets you set a pressure and then it turns off when hit.

If the boost leak tester goes on turbo compressor housing, does it test all the way into the intake manifold? I have an open/no pcv on rear of Lightning lower intake manifold. Would that missing pcv valve allow this air test to be done?

I don't believe I am seeing positive boost on the holley screen until near 5300 rpm where before it has a negative vacuum reading.

Thanks

2. sam51

the pressure goes into the motor, unless you make sure all your intake valves are closed. I have the silicone tester that clamps over the compressor inlet and pressurizes the cold side into the motor, you'll want something that has some volume to it to test t for boost leaks, I don't think the tire inflator is going to do the job.

Joe5 likes this.
  3. Joe5

Thanks man, I'm in trouble then if I need a full fledged air compressor. I thought maybe the Milwaukee would work but I didn't think the plan through. The guy said not to test above 15-20psi on the air which I know the Milwaukee can hit for at least filling tires.

When you use your test sir, is it real easy to hear and locate your boost leaks? I'm assuming you also spray soapy water to look for the bubbles?

Thanks

4. Pro-SC

Hey not use an evap machine? I picked up one to check for vacuum leaks, you can also get higher pressure ones used for higher boost turbos, ect.

5. Joe5

Mainly a money issue. I was also comsidering a smoke machineor make one but i thought the boost leak air tester would be the best option for the money.

Pro-SC likes this.
  6. sam51

when I tested mine I listened for leaks at all the couplers, then if I heard anything that caught my attention I sprayed soapy water to see if there was a leak, you will hear the air in the tubing so its really hard to listen for leaks. Maybe there is someone you can borrow a small compressor from, I used a 15 gallon on mine but I would thing the smaller portable ones would work just find, they'll just kick on and off more often, if memory serves I tested my system at 12 psi.

Joe5 likes this.
  7. F4K

I made a video to show how to pressure test turbocharger

Use air compressor to fill the plumbing, you need something quiet (air compressor *OFF*) in a quiet place to listen for the slightest leaking. Big leaks are obvious like the one in the video.

You must pressure test to the boost pressure intended to run. 30psi of boost? 32psi of pressure test.

Joe5 likes this.
  8. Joe5

Okay. I only have the ten lb spring in wastegate. I was hoping the Milwaukee inflator would suffice for this.

Im trying to pic up more jobs and lawn care work to afford these parts.