1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cheap BOV's, wastegates or turbos..Where to cut corners??

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SvrdRam, Apr 10, 2010.

1. SvrdRam

Lets see if someone doesnt bother to read the post again and report it on me with even knowing what this post is about.

Im just about to finish up my twin turbo 408w build. Motor has the best of the best...sportsman block, dss lower, Trick flow heads by TEA, super vic..ect..ect..set up for twin 70s. I blew my budget :bang: on the build and I still need to pick up a bov, wasteagates and turbos but I need to know where to cut the corners. I figured these would be the easiest to replace/upgrade down the road. Sujestions?? Comments??

2. MONTEGOD7SS

Search this site for X02 and make the call on if that's something you want to use. They are Chinese, but have a pretty good following.

3. jaredsamurai

Yeah man don't skimp on the WG. If that fails aka doesn't open, you can kiss that best of the best bottom end good by.

4. Mark55

I was told that the XO2 wastegates were made in Taiwan. Doesn't matter.
    I have a pair of 60mm and will buy them again when they are available.

Any one who offers and opinion on them should dismantle a set first and then make that determination.
    I have and would buy another set.
    It'll be a cold day in hell before I spend as much on a wastegate as a turbo costs.

A wastegate only has two variables,
    -The valve either stuck or moved,
    -The diaphragm either held air or leaked.
    A wastegate does not have a personality. It's a simple piece IMO.

5. jaredsamurai

If your turbo explodes the pieces either get stopped in the intercooler or go out the exhaust. If a wastegate sticks shut your boost goes to whatever the turbo will make on that engine. If you have a ten pound spring and a ten pound tune and your turbo goes to 25psi your exspensive bottom goes to shit. That's just my opinion. I would use one on a budget goof off build but he's got lots of $ tied up in his bottom end.

6. MONTEGOD7SS

So you think a Tial (or insert any other WAY overpriced gate) could never ever have a problem and do the same thing? Jesus, it's a damn valve that moves back and forth. Ever see a factory internal wastegate? Not a whole hell of a lot of engineering there, same with an external gate. I try to not to live by "ifs", because shit happens and in a typical car there are thousands of "ifs" that could go wrong. If I was using one of them I would take it apart to make sure nothing was sticking, but after that would bolt it on and go.

7. SvrdRam

8. littlebluefoxbody

I have first hand experience with a cheap gate. It failed stuck closed and ran 25 psi into a pump gas tune and it ate all eight pistons. It was a total loss. Your over budget want is a few more dollars.

Good Luck with the cheap gates. I now only buy American Made wgs & bovs.

9. jaredsamurai

Montegod I totally respect you but this is a perfect example of why not to use a cheap WG. Yes it is a simple design but if that simple design fails then yur fucked. If you spend upwards of 6K on your bottom end why would you cheap out on a $250 WG? I agree that a cheapo WG can work fine but I wouldn't use one on an expensive bottom end. The OP asked where to skimp on cost. I believe a WG is not a place to skimp. Like I said if a turbo takes a shit it will probably not destroy a motor. If a wastegate sticks for a second it will eat pistons for lunch.

10. jaredsamurai

This thing comes with gaskets, flanges, hardware, a banjo fitting and a polished wastegate for less than $70? :doh: The picture even shows the WG on a cheesey ass china exh manifold! How is this ok with anyone with an expensive bottom end. Dude just look at the JGS website. it means business. This ebay WG you quoted is $200 cheaper. Don't put a piece of shit on your $10,000 motor. please :cheers:

11. Mark55

Regardless of what kind of wastegate someone likes, I think it's prudent to do regular testing of the operation of it with an air line and regulator.
    I made up a simple assembly with a ball valve that I can flip and see how quick the wastegates open.
    I also have a regulator that I can adjust to check the opening point. While the air line is hooked up you can monitor how the diaphragm is holding pressure also.

I intend on making a little more elaborate setup that will let me put air pressure against the wastegate valve equal to the manifold pressure.
    That should let me pre-adjust the boost controller more accurately.

12. SvrdRam

didnt mean to open up a can of worms. Just thought I'd see what everyones opion was on these. I do agree on the idea of running a cheap turbo over a wastegate. I was told by a buddy that owns a local import shop said he can get me some no name 70mm turbos for about 550-600 a pair or some precission 70s for about 1450 for a pair (cheap ones of course). He was nice enough to talk to me about everything that could go wrong with a turbo and the effects it would have on my motor.

p.s. please keep in mind this is my first turbo build, my last car was powered by a 418 with a YSI pushing 20psi so im still pretty new to this game

13. TwinTrouble

Buy a pair of Masterpower T-70's from a site sponsor like VS Racing. Cost about $1200 a pair and they are proven to make 8 second power on a 400" motor.

-Shaun

14. Marty Staggs

You spent big bucks building the perfect cake but now you are out of money for the frosting.
    Dont frost your cake with dogfood just because you cant wait to eat your cake.

Wait a little longer and save your money for some nice fudge (or butter cream) frosting and enjoy it. :2thumbs:

T6Rocket likes this.
  15. littlebluefoxbody

X2

16. Bte85nova

What about VS Racings $99 wastegates?

17. T6Rocket

I would re-read the first 15 posts, to understand what is at stake if the $99 wastegate fails. I especially like post #15.

Al

18. Bte85nova

I see that. But VS racing was brought up as trusted

19. Bucky

I do get what everyone is saying about quality. But quality and price are not always proportional. I looked at one american made wg that was almost $600 a piece. And I need two! Is that $600 unit actually better than a $300 wg? Maybe the question really is, what wg is a good value?

20. Mnlx

You can buy a very good gate for $3-350. The large name brand gates get expensive, but most builds don't require 2 of anything that large. The China gates have come a long way, but you still get what you pay for... I personally wouldn't put a China gate on anything more than a jy build, or on anything that will be in boost for long durations, or something with extreme egt's (towing, diesel...) but I like to know it'll work as expected in most any condition. Bottom line is if buying cheap parts, you need to be prepared for them to function as such.