1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cheap BOVs and WGs....

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 89RStroker, Nov 30, 2010.

1. 89RStroker

I know you get what you pay for and what not, but is there any Ebay shit that is worth using till i get cash for the higher end parts? I hear some you can change diaphragms and what not.

Also, and recommendation for BOV and WG?

Turbo is a Garrett 72 compressor housing opened up for a 76 mm wheel, exhaust is a Q trim 88, i need a good idea of what size BOV and WG to run. Going on a 317 headed blow through 5.3.

2. Wild83C10

If your short on money how can you afford to buy parts twice?

I shopped around and found some awesome deals on new parts from people that changed their mind and wanted to unload the stuff.

3. revn351

Get with VS racing,they are sponsors here and have some good off namebrand parts.

4. 89RStroker

That is what i want to hear, i dont need top shelf names if i can use other parts that are just as good or do the job. Like Professional products, i use anything i can from them when it comes to intakes, cheaper than most and just as good with my personal experiences.

5. buschmec

also check around ebay for wynton m wg's and bov's......they have good valve guides and use the orange diaphrams, most everyone that gets one has been happy with the quality (not to be compared to a precision, hks, or tial) the only complaint i've heard is the springs are a little inconsistent......i put a hks spring in mine and it's been money ever since//////

6. livefast1

I had a xo2 44mm and the diaghram went bad immediatly. Replaced it with a tial diaghram and she worked great.

7. 89RStroker

Excellent info guys, so, there are tricks like replacing the cheap BS parts inside the cheap housings and having a decent inut, that is great. Shit like that saves folks like me needed money for other parts.

8. 89RStroker

Dont know what size BOV and WG i need yet.

9. one eyed willy

i bought a OBX 44mm wastegate, took it out of the box, took it 100% apart, and cleaned and lock tighted everything........been working like a champ for over a year!

bought a cheapy HKS look alike BOV, working like a champ for 2 years!

10. Mopar43

I bought two of the HKS knock off waste gates and run an AMS boost controller with CO2 on top, been working good for 3 years now.

11. 89RStroker

Ok, so the cheap shit can hold its own, that is cool, i need to see what size i need for the project though.

12. kalembopati

I dont understand y these big companys like turbonetics and others want to charge for a simple valve, because thats all its doing opening a closing thats all its there for,i bein dealing with ebay shit for years and never had a problem.

13. 10secgoal

Because it's not made over seas

14. livefast1

That still doesnt justify anything. Order almost any part from a gm, ford, chrysler dealer and check out where its made. And your still paying an arm and a leg.

15. 10secgoal

He asked why what seems to be a simple valve to him, costs so much. That is because they aren't made over seas. Now whit what Ford does, they actually make a profit on their parts. They just choose to mark it up enough to make it worth their time, and are about the only ones you don't see complaining about profit margins.

16. one eyed willy

its all about charging what the market will bear....if only a hand full of companies make a product that is in high demand.....they can set thier prices and make people pay those prices, other companies then realize they can use those same price guidlines and get as much for thier as well. ontop of that, anything made in America will always cost more becuase of our unions and labor laws.......we cant get 12 year old's to work the assembly line over here........instead we have unions so people make $40 a hour. which also gives us a quality control checker.......soon as the cheaper companies start making decent products and people can trust them enough that it starts to hurt the big business, they wont have a choice but to start lowering thier prices.......but for now they have just too bad of a rap for that to happen.

17. 10secgoal

Well, kinda right. Not every company charges what the market will bear just to charge it. You shoot for an hourly rate based on your over head. Problem is "cheaper" companies come and go. They try it and realize they don't charge enough and go under before they know it. Look at all the turbo companies that go under. There is a thread right now about a guy not getting his turbo kit, and the maker is ungodly cheap. Contrary to popular believe, not everyone is unionized and makes 40/hr. None of my guys, do, fuck, I don't make 40/hr lol. But I do know what it take to manufacture something here in the US. And most think if you make 50 bucks on a 200 dollar part, that's too much. Problem is out of that 50 bucks, that pay rent, insurance, employees,, their taxes, license fees, etc. 50 bucks is 25% (most parts you don't make that) 2 things will happen if cheaper companies actually make cheaper product successfully. The "big business" will go under, and they the other companies will have no one to copy.

18. 91LX

The only problems we ever have out of these knock-off wastegates is the valve will rust and stick. Last time it happened will saw 30 lbs of boost and lifted the head. Anybody ever replace the valves int these units with a stainless one ? We have the xo2 that look just like the HKS.

19. Marty Staggs

Excellent post

20. Jonny00GT

I didn't go cheap on the Tial 44mm Wastegate, but I did get it on Corral.net for a deal, I think. I paid $175 shipped, if I remember correctly. It was new in the box still.

For BOVs, I've had this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RED-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and currently have this one and love it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Both worked well. The bigger one was just quieter and lets air out all around it, rather than all out of one slot on the side.

-Jonny