1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

T-5 behind a 351W, need any special parts

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by turbomike, May 7, 2008.

1. turbomike

Hey guys I'm taking my Lentech trans out and putting in a 5-speed in, which flywheel and any other different than 302 parts might I need?

Thanks

2. BottleFed70

I have a T5 behind my 351W.

You can use all the same parts as a 302. The only thing to look out for is the flywheel unbalance. The unbalance will depend on the harmonic balancer you are using. Most 302's (except some of the early models) use a 50oz unballance, where most 351W's use a 28oz unbalance.

3. jwwhaley

No special part required. Just run the orginal Flywheel 50 or 28 they are dimensionally no different to the clutch.
    Just be carefull with 3rd gear: 350HP ish, and sticky tires. This combo has killed many a t-5's 3rd gear and cluster gear

4. jt351

No you can't run the 50oz flywheel, Must use 28oz flywheel and 351 harmonic balancer, do not use latemodel 302 flywheel or harmonic balancer with a 351, or you will shake it apart, other than that, it is identical parts to 302.

5. Ackbar00

Yeah, God...

6. turbomike

Thanks guys, and that's the 157 tooth right?

BTW are the cranks all drilled to accept a pilot bearing?

Is my block gonna have holes for the Z bracket?

7. BottleFed70

Yes, all cranks are machines for the pilot bearing. You may need to clean up the seat a little tho.

If it's an early block, it will have to provisions for the Z-bar. Are you planning to install in a classic or something with manual clutch linkage (instead of cable or hydrolic)?

8. turbomike

It's going in an 82 GT, so I don't think I need a Z bar right?

9. turbomike

BTW I'm using a T-5, I heard they don't use them. True?

10. BottleFed70

I think the 82 uses a cable clutch, so you shouldn't need the Z-bar stuff.

Not sure what you're asking here.