1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Charge Air Temps.

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by BB72CAMARO, Feb 14, 2011.

1. BB72CAMARO

I was originally planning to run an intercooler on my turbo camaro build which will be running on E85, but have decided to give it a try without. After some calculations I have figured the temp out of the turbo at 20psi of boost to be around 300F. After vaporizing the fuel required at this airflow, it will bring my charge air temp down close to 200F. Is 200F too high of a temp? I am worried because the engine has approximately 10.5:1 comp. I have included a pic of the setup.

[​IMG]#ad

2. wannabe

subscribing...... Whats to hot?

3. nealysa

Different answer for every engine. But, 200F is pretty hot. That temp sounds like a screw-style blower which is pretty hot for the intake manifold. Years ago I did a KB blower and had to keep the timing around 14ish with 14psi and a huge 4 inch inlet plus h/c/i. The intake temps were around 214-220F which caused pinging (detonation) up hills, high gear or other heavy load situations. No inter cooler by the way.

4. AlkyV6

Not sure about E85, but for methanol it's still safe, but coming up on undesireable.

5. Boost Engineer

Nice Turbo Set-up

I would be concerned with the compression ratio you have and no inter-cooler (even with E-85). We have run 28 psi on gas without an inter-cooler but with 8.5 compression ratio. The system was a blow-thru like your deal.

Methanol guys run 10 to 1 and get away without an inter-cooler at high boost on a drag strip. E-85 is not Methanol. Even then they use a top notch timing system.

Tom Vaught

6. BB72CAMARO

So I should quit being lazy and plumb in an intercooler?

7. AIS

Or you can consider a methanol injection system as another option. With a water methanol injection system we can take those air temps and drop them down in the 150 degree range before you even induce fuel. Let me know if you have any questions or how I can help.

Rodney

8. BB72CAMARO

I would do something like that, but the rules of my class limit me to an air-air intercooler.

9. 10secgoal

I think you could run A/A and 10.5 cr on E85 no problem. Especially with a carb. The carb will help handle some for you if the cool can't get it all. Lots of guys running TONS of power, EFI, inlets over 150 inlets and over 10-1. Particularly the GT500 guys. Their intercoolers are good by themselves. But in the engine, and with 20-25% of the cooler actually covered by the lower intake, their inlets are dismal, on the lower side. Some see 175+

10. john01374

In a word Yes. Methanol injection an option as well but I'd do and A/A intercooler and bring the temps down into a more reasonable 150F range. 200F is too hot even with E85

11. dbeck002

200 is getting on the high side

12. wantabe

i tune stuff alittle different to others...
    the intake air temp is just a number,
    let the motor tell you what it wants
    read the tell tale signs...
    s p a r k p l u g

i have 200+ temp out the turbo, but the plug tells me the motor is fine..

13. AlkyV6

x2!!!
    The spark plug is your convenient window into what is truly going on in the cylinder. And, when it all comes down to it, what is going on in the cylinder is all that counts.
    The spark plug will tell you where your limits are.

14. 73maro511TT

200 degrees going to the carb on a blowthrough setup isnt ideal but i would not be afraid of trying it. With the fuel vaporizing across the carb that could bring temps down to as little as 100 degrees in the intake manifold. I would consider sampling air temps from the plenum to see what they are after the carb. E85 has a very good latent heat of vaporization temperature and it will pull A LOT of heat out. I have seen intakes sweat after a run. Think about the required temp drops to make that happen.

Plus its primarily an alcohol based fuel. There is such a thing as too cold when it comes to your inlet air temps.

15. dbeck002

I doubt he will hit too cold with the configuration he has. Too cold is bad too, but 100F IATs is not too cold :cheers:

16. 73maro511TT

No 100 degree IAT's is just about right for E85. IMO

17. Matt Cramer

I would. Even if you keep it out of detonation at a 200 degree intake temperature, you should be making more power if you can bring those temps down.

18. AlkyV6

From what I've heard, the target boosted IAT for alcohol is 160 degrees F.