1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

changed intakes, would that hurt the cam?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by VTXDEMON, Mar 25, 2011.

1. VTXDEMON

I changed directions and got a spyder efi intake... my cam was made with the cobra intake in mind. :doh: would that create a big issue?

2. BoostedBadBoy

It could, but it shouldn't be that bad, cam is choosen with heads and intake and cid in mind. But if you have something that makes power at 1500rpm, and switch it to something that doesn't make power until 3500rpm. It may hurt low end torque, but shouldn't be too bad being on a boosted mill. And unless your using it for all out race, you really probably won't notice it at all. If I'm not mistaken the Spider is the Vic Jr, fuel injected with the elbow correct? Thats for a higher RPM motor, where the Cobra I believe is like 1500-6500 is the power range, vs 3500-7500 I believe? And truthfully I have only seen these on high HP race cars, haven't seen one used on the street yet. It has a small channel barbed fitting for vacume referance. Personally I think its definitely the better of the two intakes by far, for growth and power potential. As far as streetability??????... I don't know you get it, let us know. lol But it is one bad ass intake brotha.

3. VTXDEMON

the intake I got is made by mass flow... is their EFI intake for fords... looks alot like a Victor Jr intake... the fuel injectos location was casted not welded to the runners. when I asked mass-flow about the RPM range they said it would not matter because of the turbo... My cam is a custom grind by cammotion...

4. BoostedBadBoy

Your fine then, I'd do it up, but as far as it not mattering because of turbo, I'm not so sure about that one. A intake is made a specfic way for a reason, forced induction or not, take a dual plane intake and add forced induction to it and then take a single and add the same forced induction too it, your going to notice it and it will show up on a dyno. But as far as Vic style single goes with the bosses ready to be tapped, I'd definitely go for it. But as a RPM plane not mattering, VE still matters because the rate of gas and air being shoved into a motor is relivant. Suck squeeze bang blow is still the basic principals of a motor no matter how much air and gas you try to shove into it, thats still the path it must go, and the process is only so fast. I would still think it would matter, or at least be relivant. But truthfully, I think you'll be fine with this intake, and it has much more potential to grow. It may help boost to come in faster as well because of the open plentium and runner design.

5. VTXDEMON

I agree with you... thanks for the input. I will post pictures of it when I get home.

6. BoostedBadBoy

No problem man, can't wait to see them. I been following your build and questions on here, sounds like your gonna have a pretty sick machine bro. Good luck!! can't wait to see it done. :2thumbs:

7. wantabe

nah, u should be fine

8. VTXDEMON

here is the intake I got

PIC-0741.jpg #ad

PIC-0742.jpg #ad

PIC-0743.jpg #ad

9. Rotax

Anyone have more info on this intake?
    Did you installed it yet? How's the fit?

10. BoostedBadBoy

Looks bad ass Bro.. good luck with your build I'm curious to see how it turns out for you. I mean it will be good but I wanna see how fast you build power and what boost level you had to use to get it. I think you'll be at breaking point of stock 302 on low boost with your setup. lol

And Rotax.. what is it your wondering about this intake? They are direct fits. Its literally a Victor Jr just with fuel injector bosses where the Nitrous bosses would be. Or are you asking like a brand specific question about it? With the plentium style and runners it will be the same as Victor Jr. and the taller castings are equal to the Super Victors. Same water cross overs, and the vacume barb for the vacume port to it.

11. PrecisionTurboMustang

What part is the plentium?

12. Rotax

ROFL

Anybody know's it's part of the flux capacitor.

13. BoostedBadBoy

That would be the big open hole where the carb sits on top of where the air fuel mixture would happen to be sucked down through before going to the runners. What exactly would you called the big open hole on top of a carburated intake then? LOL just curious? The big suck hole? :2thumbs: :hmm:

14. Drac0nic

Something to keep in mind is that in an port EFI capacity a lot of the "conventions" of using a big intake go out the window. Things like runner length and area play a major role on the affect of the power band, but with the intake being used in a "dry" capacity where the plenum has no real role in fuel distribution makes it less likely to adversely affect performance at lower RPM. If you look at a stock Vortec 305 or 350 intake for instance, they both have runner areas and lengths fairly comparable to a Vic Jr. JMO on this but with those intakes the fuel system is ultimately the flaw and if they took pencil injectors EVERYONE would run them.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_9903_305_chevy_small_block_engine_build/photo_04.html

Just as a point of interest on this, look at this Car Craft article. It's a 305 and the first few iterations before Vortecs are stock heads and even a stock cam which is crap. The Vic Jr. used with the exact same Qjet as the stock intake makes 30hp more and even off idle is blowing away the stocker. With a Holley it makes more power, that could be both for the reason they were more acclimated to tuning it and because of the distribution on the square bore intake. If a 305 with a 179/[email protected] cam can see gains from going to a vic. jr and using a wet plenum I can't imagine your dry plenum 5.0 couldn't do better especially with a hotter cam than stock.

15. PrecisionTurboMustang

Its "plenum" but were gonna give you a pass because you were reallly trying to help :2thumbs:

16. BoostedBadBoy

lmao.. yeah yeah.. gonna give me damn complex. Now I'm gonna start spell checking everything. lol :2thumbs:

17. VTXDEMON

this is who "make" the intake...

http://www.massfloefi.com/mass-flo-s...41d10d8d312e29

I also got a spyder EFI elbow for it, is not installed yet... I'm waiting for my long block to be done by the machine shop (R block, 327 stroker, Z304heads, custom cam from cammotions)

here is something else I'm thinking about getting.

originally I was thinking about goung with 72lbs injectors... the throttle spacer has 3 42lbs injectors. I'm thinking I should be able to go with 60lbs injectors and run the 42's on the throttle base and have enough fuel to support my combo. what do you guys think?

Also I got an AEM box to help with the tunning of the car.

18. Rotax

That mignt suffer from fuel distribution as well.
    I say go with 8 injectors of proper size.

19. VTXDEMON

the added fuel from the injectors at the throttle base can work in place of a water injection system... at least that is my theory.

20. Drac0nic

I'd think this throw some E85 in the mix with 160s or some C16. The alcohol would probably be awesome if it's a non intercooled setup.