1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Power Steering pump Replacement

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by RS377, Nov 14, 2010.

1. RS377

I was looking at moving the alternator on my 440 to the passenger side by modifying the power steering pump bracket and putting the alternator above the power steering pump.

I have two issues which I could use some input on:

1- moving the alternator this direction reduces the contact area on the fan/ water pump pulley (the belt is in contact with I'd say 30% of the pulley). Will that be enough to spin the pulley without major slippage? If needed I could get a longer belt and add an idler pulley to get more contact area.

2- the power steering pump reservoir sticks straight up, which limit how low I can rotate the alternator. I saw some power steering pumps on some dodge trucks today with the reservoir angled to the about the 1-2 o'clock position, which would give me a bit more room to work with. So, my question is, what requirements need to be met when looking to swap out a power steering pump?

2. furious70

Are you running an elec or mech fan? The waterpump itself takes very little to turn.

You might look at the older 'Federal' style PS pump, might give you more clearance, I think they are shorter, and only the dipstick region sticks up.

3. dodgestrike

maybe you can use a w350 dodge truck pump , it uses a remote reservoir so you can locate it wherever you want its a comon practice on offroad rigs.

4. Fury Fan