1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Come on in and follow along as we build a TFS headed 5.4 Mustang GT engine!>>>>

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Mod Mustang Racing, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Mikes001GT

Awesome write up, I really enjoy theese threads. If you dont mind can you share some clearance specs to go by when building a mod motor? Crank end play/rod sides/ptw/main and rod bearing clearances.. etc.. Thanks again for the write up. :cheers:

2. 99TTGT

subscribing...

3. Excessive Motorsports

Very Nice build MMR. I am very interested to see what kind of power the TFS heads make with that kind of compression. Great pictures too.

4. RoadconeTuning

awesome build, im trying to make 400hp w/ a 4.6 and TF heads. its good to see that the pistons dont need notching with these new heads, that was a big concern for me.

5. bags50lx

On the 5.4 the pistons sit down .100 thou so with a 4.6 you might need to notch.

6. huffer

subscribing

7. Kellyo77

What kind of luck are you guys having with the TFS modular heads? Had anyone just change heads to those and shown any improvements?
    Wondering how these compare to ported stock heads in terms of power.

8. RoadconeTuning

i'd like to know the same, im tired of only seeing the "~30hp over ported stock heads" comment. i wish someone would do a direct compare.

9. stangman9897

In the november issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords they do a head swap with the new trick flow heads and get 34hp gain over ported stock heads. They used a 2000 GT with Total Engine Airflow Stage 2 ported factory heads and layed down 466rwhp and swaped to the Trick Flow heads and layed down 499rwhp.

10. Excessive Motorsports

I have a friend that ports modular heads and he said that their isn't much you can do to the TFS heads other than polishing them up a bit. There is not enough material to really port anything. He had a TFS head that has been cut in half and when I looked at the other side I could see what he was talking about. A good ported set of PI heads aren't far from the TFS...

11. Kellyo77

Good to know. Thanks for that! Was really wanting to know the flow difference between the two. To see if the price difference is worth it.
    I am just glad that a company has stepped up finally, and made some heads for mod motors. Now it's time for some 4 valve heads that whip Navigator or GT heads.

12. RoadconeTuning

34hp seems like a lot to me considering people seem to make roughly 300hp thru stock heads and 330hp w/ ported pi heads. 360hp stock shortblock would be pretty good from 281ci to me. maybe 400 with a little bigger cam with an intake that breathes up top a bit better and some compression

13. trueblue02

that is a good bit more power but when i look at makin more power i always compare it to the dollars. and i would build a turbo kit before i would buy 2000 dollar heads and make twice the amout of power with stock heads still.

14. 99TTGT

Don't belive everything that you read on a magazine.
    It's always less than what the say.!
    Remember they get pay to advertise a product.

We have seen every time we test a new product ,that it always less than what they advertise.....

15. RoadconeTuning

but for the people who want to stay N/A or make even more power with a turbo 2v these are the way to go... i know im buying a set and seeing what they do unless i run across a killer deal on a turbo kit... and i mean KILLER

16. trueblue02

we can put you a turbo kit together for cheap. thats cool though i wanna do a all motor too i'll prolly big bore and destroke a navi though, but i gotta finsh up the turbo build first good luck with it

17. Kellyo77

Magazine articles are nice to read and all but I want to see real world, back to back dyno test done. With no other changes done to the test car. No timing, no fuel, nothing. Dyno with ported stockers, remove heads, install Trick Flow heads, dyno. Results. The end.

If it wasn't so hard to change heads on my lightning, I'd be more than happy to use it for a test mule.

18. Schraders

How do those Moroso valve covers seal? Do you guys use RTV or a special Moroso gasket or factory or what?