1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Got some Dyno #'s out of my DD 7.3:

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by 93PONY, Oct 12, 2008.

1. 93PONY

New dyno for the shop came in, so I threw my truck on it to see what she'd put down.

Mods:
    Edge w/juice
    5" turbo back exhaust (Jegs)
    Electric fans
    Cold air of some sort (came with the truck)
    3.08 rear end gears
    SCT programer (no power, just transmission mods)

All pulls started at 1500RPM w/no load brake, just an inertia drum.

First pull: Edge on level 5
    298/586 RW
    Same tune that I get 21mpg on the highway with. :D

Second pull: Edge on 0, 90HP SCT Program
    290/572 RW

Third pull: Edge on 1, 90HP SCT Program
    291/576 RW

Forth Pull: Edge on 3, 90HP SCT Program
    295/580 RW

I'm guessing the fuel system just can't keep up. She throws codes every now & then for ICP uncontrollable. (lack of fuel)
    I've very happy with the #'s though!

Raced my buddies '05 6.0L 4X4 LWB with Edge on level 5. (his put down 321/640RW on our dyno)
    My truck was inching (barely pulling) him in top gear......till he hit his speed limiter & I flew by. :)

2. DaveH

What year is your truck? What did you think of that Jegs 5" exhaust? Did it fit well?

3. 93PONY

The Jegs 5"kit was nicer than I thought it would be due to the cheap pricetag. The only issue I had was that it hit the spare tire. But you can move the tire.

4. 93PONY

*Update*

Did some 'fine tuning' with the SCT (my own custom tune) & she threw down:
    342/699.5 RW

Looks like NOW I've maxed out the fuel system. LOL

Next up:
    Transmission tuning, then performance trans rebuild with new UCC custom converter.

5. Dave R

That's awesome. I just pulled the Juice/Attitude off mine and it's a whole different truck wiithout it. I'll get a new tuner sometime. I think I'm going for a new turbo first because I'm worried about mine.

Great job. Now get that transmission beefed up with a VB and converter.

Dave

6. truckman

Had mine on the dyno today, 306/743.

7. 93PONY

Nice!
    Looks like an un-locked converter run?

Here's what a locked converter power graph looks like:
    TQ doesn't peak as quickly.

8. truckman

Nope, locked converter, in O/D. Ran it up to 60 mph, to make sure it was locked and started the run from there. It stayed locked. The old TC it wouldn't stay locked. Old numbers were 281/538. Only change was a rebuilt trans with a good VB and TC from Dunrite Converters.
    I will soon have twin turbo's, and that will allow me to increase the fuel and make more hp/tq.
    I'm going with an HT3B and HX40, although I may need to run the HX35 for a little while.

9. 93PONY

Wow!
    Awesome!
    Maybe I should install my custom UCC Converter...

Never tried dyno'n it in OD.....guess it'd spool up the turbo better.

10. truckman

I need to do the proper governer springs, she started laying over around 2700. When I can figure out how to post the graph I'll do it, as well as the link to the run on u-tube.

11. Dave R

Get rid of that Edge. I did and put in my DP Tuners F5 and it is a world of difference. I just can't believe how something that looks so much more primitive than the Attitude can do so much more. Here's my display and switch for it.....

I'm in the middle of the ITP pre-pump with filter mod and I just finished the HPX crossover line and Truspeed install. It did even out my idle some. I can't wait to hit a dyno with mine. I hope to get the numbers you guys are seeing.

I'm looking at hybrid injectors and a 38R next and I'm sure a converter after that. Maybe before.

Great job guys.

Dave

12. 93PONY

I did some re-programing with the SCT software & turned the Edge to Zero. Picked up .5 MPG (up to 18 avg city/hwy) & she still has TONS of power. Lays ~50+ yards of tire rubber pretty easy.

I took the ICP table from a 6.0L file & put it in my 7.3 Program (add's ~50% more ICP pressure). The 6.0L uses the same High Pressure oil pump as the 7.3, but with different gears to speed it up.
    Re-mapped the entire Injector Timing tables.
    Re-mapped the Throttle Map Table (for more throttle response).

The result is very nice. With the Edge on Zero I get NO SES light & very little smoke. With the Edge on 5......she screams.

Haven't thrown her back on the dyno...too busy with customers cars lately.

13. TurboTPI

Nice numbers :cheers: Sooner or later i'll have some hybrids and a D-66 turbo in my old 97 7.3. :chacha:

14. 93PONY

Thanks!

There's definately a lot of power in these things....once tapped into.
    A BB turbo with better inlet/outlet would do wonders for power and fuel economy.

Update:
    Yanked the Edge out & am now running just the Custom SCT tune. 10% added Injector duty cycle in the 90-100% throttle range & she put down 303/608RW on the dyno today. I could get her back up to the previous stacked #'s...but not too interested at this point. It drives great, gets good fuel economy, & turns over the tires with ease.

15. Dave R

Sweet.

I'm looking for some hybrids, a 38R and a good converter and I'll be content after a new tune on it. You guys are going mad with these.

Dave

16. iffy

Whats this can you tell me some kind of a speed meter it looks great and tell me how much do it cost.

17. Dave R

Are you referring to the square controller with 2 buttons on it? If so, it's a DP Tuner 16 position chip. They cost $199 fort he base unit and then $30-$55 for each tune on them. I have an 80 tow, 80 econo, and the 120 race. I don't feel much difference at all with teh 80 econo and the 120 race. If I had to do it all over again, I'd swap the 120 for the 140 extreme tune. My 80 tow produces very little smoke at all and keeps the EGT's down. the Econo is what i drive daily on and it really wakes up the response and power of the truck. Jody also tunes the transmission for better shifting and such. Check them out at DPTuners.com.

Dave

18. DC91GT

I am looking at doing the same. 80hp or so econo tune for daily drving my 99. Big difference just drving around? Did it make the response any better below 1800 or so where the turbo seems to really spool on mine?

Doug

19. Colt

Nice numbers... My fuel system is tapped out with a Evolution ( has some other mods, dont feel like typing it all out ).. Truck starts shuttering and basicly shuts down until ya fully get out of it. Pulling a trailer it will pull anything I've ever put behind it ( max so far was 30K LBS ) and hold 70 no problem, although pulling hills it sometimes starts to starve for fuel.

What did a transmission rebuild cost ya? And what all did you have done to it? I need to have mine done, 216K miles, on the stock converter too, they are both getting weak. I rarely get on it anymore, with a trailer I'm real easy on it. I might as well forget it if I have to tow in stop and go traffic, transmission heats up to 220 in about 6 stop and go's. I use my Dodge for that anymore, it's got a 5 speed. I've been considering getting a ATS Stage 3 transmission. I hate to spend that much though, all the truck does it anymore is tow, hasn't been drove empty in 3 months. It has enough power that it needs a strong transmission behind it, I could go out right now, pull my car trailer and fry the transmission within minutes if I wanted to..

20. Dave R

I drive it around daily in the Econo tune and it makes for a crisper throttle response at every RPM. I really love the tuner. Still getting 21mpg with it in econo while still getting on it a bit. That's in town too. I'm sure I'll get better on the highway.

I just built a John Wood 4R100 for a buddy and the parts all seemed to be made good but I was skeptical about a "properly machined" center section when he didn't supply the whole case to get it machined to it.

I've heard from some local guys that they had ATS stuff that broke only to take it apart and find nothing special inside at all.

I'll go with a BTS transmission or just build one with John Wood soft parts only and a good converter and valve body. My DP tuner coupled with my VB has helped tremendously by raising line pressures and firming up the shifts.

bridal-shoal