1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Holset H1C upgrade options

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by 73 F250Cummins5.9, Nov 11, 2022.

1. 73 F250Cummins5.9

I have a 1973 Ford F250 with a Cummins 5.9 l 6bt 12 valve diesel. My Turbo is a Holset H1C (3525103)
    What I'm looking for is an acceptable turbo upgrade that will provide a bit more power without requiring any other major modifications to my engine. Any advice would be gratefully accepted and sincerely appreciated

2. B E N

How much power are you looking to make, how much do you want to spend? Answers vary from a modern 56mm all the way up to compounds.

3. 73 F250Cummins5.9

Just looking for a basic upgrade I don't want to affect my mileage that much and I just need a little bit more power kind of limited on financial I probably couldn't do more than 600 or so

4. B E N

I would look for an industrial take off s256 for a little upgrade, it will make a little more power (you can run up to around 45psi) and spool a lot faster, its a great street turbo, shouldn't have to black out intersections or waste fuel to spool it. If you want a lot more power something like an s362 would do it. The s362 should spool about like stock with a little more fueling but will give you quite a bit more power.

You will need fuel upgrades, and possibly head studs if you want to turn it up very far so make sure and add that into your budget.

5. 73 F250Cummins5.9

6. 73 F250Cummins5.9

7. 73 F250Cummins5.9

I am really new to turbos and don't really yet have a full understanding of most of the nomenclature involved. I've got a fair understanding of the operational basics, however I don't have much knowledge about the various models available and especially how the differences between them will affect the operation of my engine. At this point although I do have access to a few people with much more knowledge and ability than I possess, which by the way is not cheap. So I will do some additional research on the items you have provided to self educate myself enough to at least have a much better chance to fully understand and take advantage of the information you have offered. Thank you very much for your assistance.

8. B E N

It's a ton of info, a lot to absorb. Fortunately the 12 valve has been done a ton. There is a lot of build examples out there. I would search some of the 12v boards and see what people have done, and what supporting mods were required.

Fortunately research is (mostly) free!

9. 73 F250Cummins5.9

Although I do like the option of increasing the level of hp by dialing up the psi, I think this option is a little above both my price range and my current level of "hands on" technical ability. I was thinking more along the lines of the 3522778 Holset but can't find out how much of an upgrade it actually offers. It looks like a pretty easy change out and also seems to be more along the lines of what I'm capable of doing on my own

10. 73 F250Cummins5.9

That's the one thing I really like about the 12 Valve. It's pretty basic easy to understand and especially the many ways to improve how it operates. My main problem is that my engine was manufactured in 1987 and all I can find is info on the 1st gen Dodge engines

11. Mnlx

What injection pump? There is so much hp to be had in just fuel, and rpm tuning, especially if you have a P pump engine. A turbo upgrade is typically a waste of money unless you have the fuel to match.

12. 73 F250Cummins5.9

This motor was a direct purchase from Cummins "crate engine". It was purchased and installed in 1987. Needless to say, since this was before they even started putting the into the Dodge trucks. So that should give you some idea about just how basic my 5.9L 6BT 12 valve is equipped. Yeah it's the original VE pump. I have a Gear Vendor Overdrive, C6 Transmission, 4.1 rear end and also have a propane injection set up that I use "only" to provide a little extra power on the hills when I'm towing my boat. The truck 73 F250 is a real dog off the line and I'm just trying to find a little more get up and go without having to take a second mortgage on my house. Any reasonable input and/or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

13. Mnlx

There are some cheapish upgrades that can be done to the VE, i'd research those, and make sure your turbo is in good shape. Or, a swap to a WH1C, or HX35W turbo will help with low speed power production. The unwastegated turbos typically had a larger turbine housing than the their wastegated counterparts.

B E N likes this.
  14. bbi_turbos

My vote would be for the hx35w, an intercooler, and some pump tweaks and I think you'd be happy.

There's loads of used genuine hx35 turbos all over the place, or you can always order a China copied one.

15. B E N

@Mnlx is setting you straight, he has a much better feel for what your needs are!

16. turbo79malibu

2nd gen 12v hx35 is a cheap bolt on upgrade. try to source one from a 5spd truck for a tighter exhaust housing, itll be much more responsive.

17. 73 F250Cummins5.9

IMG_20220427_165500.jpg #ad

This is my 1973 Ford F250
    5.9L 6bt 12 valve Cummins
    Gear Vendor Overdrive
    Propane Injection

IMG_20220427_165500.jpg #ad

Russell, B E N and 91turboterror like this.