1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo wrap for OFI Trans Am

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 91 Turbo Sedan, Apr 7, 2008.

1. 91 Turbo Sedan

We have this car in our shop and it produces an incredible amount of heat even though every part of the hot side has been wrapped with heat wrap.If you are familiar with the Ohio Forced Inductions kit ,The alternator is extremely close to the downpipe.I saw somewhere an exhaust that had covers on it that looked like the spark plug wire covers ???

Any ideas ,I need something multilayered possibly.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. trbo355

Thermotec sells a clamp on pipe heat shield that may work for you. Its listed in the Jegs catalog too. I have noticed that exhaust wrap doesnt seem to help very much at all. A couple of things i did to keep my heat problem down was to run more ignition advance at lower speeds as it controls afterburn in the pipes and made my motor much more throttle responsive along with running my electric fan full time to keep up the underhood airflow. Most alternators suck air in from the backside to cool the electronics first and a hot pipe back there will kill it real fast.
    If you have the room, another piece of larger dia. half pipe that floats on some stands welded to the main pipe makes a nice thermal barrier too.

3. Cablebandit

my ofi kit burned 4 alternators. here is what i did to solve it. I wrapped the downpipe at the area around the alternator. i also cut off part off the little tab on the alternator that gets used for the back mounting bolt. I dont use that back bolt/bracket...just the two long bolts that go in from the front. I also covered one side of the alternator with heat reflecting tape...it wouldnt stay on by itself so i covered/secured it with some regular aluminum tape like you use for hvac. this alternator has lasted for several months no where others would burn up as soon as i got on it hard. Make sure the DP isnt touching the alternator anywhere....i know its close with the 3.5" dp. My kit is on a 00 ta
    My headers are also wrapped, this cut down on a lot of underhood heat ...also got a turbo blanket but i cant tell anything with that except a lighter wallet.