1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cast Twin Turbo manifolds for LSx's

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Matty B, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Matty B

Hey guys Ive been searching high and low for a company in the US that makes a cast turbo manifold for LS motors and mounts the turbos like a Banks SBC turbo kit. The motor is in my 64 chevelle and I do not trust any tubular manifolds I can afford to hold up to the extended high temperature use I plan on putting the car through. Its a pro-touring car and I want to open road race the car as well as run it at thunder hill, laguna seca and maybe infineon her in nor cal during track days. Ive come across some for new GTOs, 4th gen F bodies and c5 and c6 vettes but they stick the turbos in unuseable spots for my car. I asked and they were short of answers since they only deal with late model cars it seems and massive google'ing as pretty much turned up nothing. I found a company in the Uk that sells them but they havent responded to my emails so Im not going to do buisness with them. Schwartz performance sells a manifold but they are just mild steel weld els and for the price i could build em myself. If any of you guys have leads to any places that have something like Im describing PLEASE help. Im held up moving forward with putting my car back together cause of this and its starting to get a bit frustrating.

2. camaroe3

i am sure 304 stainless steal would hold up great . or you can mount the turbo on a brace. the market is not their for a big company to make a cast manifold for a lsx. i may be wroung but i have never readed of a set. i think u should contact a site sponsor that makes turbo kits. i am sure they will say tube is safe. people have drove on the street like this years. from pot holes to off roading.also tube header will out flow a cast set all set. save ur self and get tubed heads . IMO.

3. camaroe3

if u really want cast u can get some lsx or vortek exh manifolds. flip them and weld on some turbo flanges. then u will have what u are looking for. so what turbo or tubos u want to run? what is ur power goal?

4. sdce

We are working on tubular headers to meet your criteria exactly. We are making a twin turbo kit for trucks that will have to be held in boost for 3hrs+ while we are towing a trailer. When done, the flanges and materials could be modified to fit your needs. Let me know if you are interested.

5. thesled

buy some 1.750" SCD10 unions and 4 90's theres almost a manifold.....

6. Boosted Thrills

under boost for 3 hours, you going up pikes peak?

7. sportbikeryder

Or pulling a 20,000 lb trailer with a turbo 4.3 in a 3500 dually? :bow:

8. sdce

Nope, not for the 4.3, but for our black truck, which is the tow truck. Our TT 4.3 is just Scott's everyday toy.

9. Matty B

size wise Im leaning towards two 50 trim t4/t3 with .63 ar exhaust housings. Im looking for NA response and ultra quick spool at the expense of out and out max hp. Im looking to make about 600 whp give or take and I figured these should do the trick, hopefully they are big enough on the exhaust side, Im not looking for high rpm turbos just a pair that will give me boost from 1500-1800 rpm to 6500 maybe a bit less. As far as flipped manifolds they look horrible on a vintage A body cause they have to be flipped upside down because of steering box interference and the exhaust outlet points up on the manifold.

I have had a few turbo cars with expensive tubular manifolds and they just cant handle 10,000+ miles of use. Every one of them cracked at some point and I braced the turbos as much as I could. The bad part about a nice stainless manifold cracking is that you cant weld over the crack like you can with mild steel so you are stuck with a manifold that has to be disected to get to fresh metal again on the damaged spots and put back together again. When you add up the cost of those manifolds and then labor costs down the road to fix em, its just not really that cost effective for anything that needs to endure constant prolonged abuse. If I was only drag racing Id be ok with a tubular manifold cause it would only be worked for 10 seconds, road racing its getting abused for 20 full minutes which doesnt sound like much but its a lifetime for the manifolds that are dealing with 1400-1500 deg EGTs that whole time. This is not saying that tubulars cant be built to do that but personally I cannot afford to buy a set thats up to the task. I dunno maybe Ill build a set of heavy gauge mild steel headers myself and ceramic coat em, at least if they crack Im not out that much money and they can be fixed if I have to with a mig welder.

No TIG welder :( something I would love to own but cant budget it with everything else i have to buy for my project :bang:

10. slow67

How bout some mild steel weld els

11. thesled

you dont need a tig to weld stainless......

here liek this

12. Matty B

Do you have any finished pics of that? Also what are you doing about the turbo mounting flange? I may go this route if it can be mig'd just for the fact that itd be cheap and strong which is the two things I require. If you have any more info please feel free to lemme know!! thanks

13. Robert1320

Google grapeaperacing

He did a build using sch 10 pipe.

14. TURBO 70CAMARO

15. gearheads78

Have you seen Jody's PT 64 with the Turbo LS motor. His manifolds were a protype that was susposed to go into production later. Do a search on protouring.com or lateralg.net on mali2ude His 64 is going to be a work of art.

16. Don Bailey

17. Matty B

Ive spoke with them and they wont part with just manifolds
    these are weld el manifolds from what Ive seen and he wants WAY too much for them, last time I checked they were up to $2k for a pair and as we know weld els cost pennies. I am considering making some mild steel ones though and coating them. I found the flange materials at a place called JGC (i think) they are a sponsor on here though. Since I dont have a TIG Im gonna tack them up with my MIG and take them across the street from my shop to a metal fab shop and have them double pass tig welded and heat relieved plus they can get milled flat at the same time. Bonus for that route is that they can also water jet 1/2" flanges and counter bore them with a step so that the tubes will sit in the flange and have no way of cracking. So far this is my plan....

18. gearheads78

I totally understand on the $$ thing. I am in process of selling a bunch of stuff off myself to build a car a 1/3 as nice as his is

19. Grape Ape

20. 2JZFC

Can factory cast manifolds be cut and rewelded?