1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cartech 6-core intercooler install questions...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by droptop93, Aug 19, 2004.

1. droptop93

[​IMG]#ad

Curious as to how this is supposed to mount? From looking at the Cartech website, it looks like it mounts with the inlets on the top, and the outlet on the bottom passenger side (makes sense). It also looks like it mounts to the bottom of the radiator support, which would make sense if the brackets on my intercooler were on the back of it and not the front. Ontop of not knowing where to bolt it to, it also looks like the bottom end tank is going to sit like 2" above the ground...and can't go any higher because of the bumper supports.

If anyone has installed one of these or has instructions on how to install one on a fox I would really appreciate some help. Any info would be great. Thanks.

2. ShaneH

You won't be able to run the bumper support with that intercooler.

3. Drlee50

i just tried to install mine- no luck.
    you not only have to remove the bumper support and mounts, you have to grind down the blocks that come out of the core support that the bumper supports attach to. gotta knock off 1/2" on each of them to just clear. this sucks!

i cant get cartech to call me back. i called about 15 times today. no answer ever. i need the low mount alternator bracket that comes with the twin turbo kit.

how safe is it for your daily driver to have no bumper support??

4. Traction Issuez

Twin T-72's and a 6 core intercooler and you're concerned about it being adequate for a daily driver? Might wanna look over your priorities bud and find yourself a civic to drive to work in.
    issuez

5. Drlee50

i want to at least be safe about it LOL! yeah, a bit much i am sure. it has been a fun project though. cant wait to fire the POS!. still getting odds and ends fittings etc. i think i will fab up some 1/4 to 1/2 tubing to hold the bumper together at higher speeds. it is so close to fitting, had they made it about 1-2 inches narrower it would fit fine with the support there. later i will figure out a way to get he support back in there with the cooler

6. 50racer

That is the same intercooler in the Twin T-70 kit I got from turbocrazed. Just dump the bumper and the mounts and it will mount up under the bumper cover. I personally wouldn't mount it that low so your only option is removal of the bumper and like traction said it is no longer a daily driver with twin t-72s. I plan on driving my on the street like 1 or 2 times a month but only to local hangouts not take it work and stuff. If you get in an accident the cage will save you :)

7. Drlee50

well, it is in. i pulled the bumper support and ground out the welds that held the support mounts in place and got it to fit in just right. hangs down just a tad more on the pass side, but it certainly isnt low and wont hit the driveway etc. it is a big mofo! hope it does its job.