1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

carb to stand alone efi conversion with boost

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by dunfort, Oct 30, 2014.

1. dunfort

has anyone here tried converting a carb motor to stand alone efi like the holly terminator or fast system? if so what system works best for boosted applications. I'm looking to start small on boost it will be a street driven truck

2. Matt Cramer

I've done two conversions on carbed vehicles before, once by adapting EFI to a Mopar slant six and once by stuffing in a whole OE fuel injected motor. Both were using MegaSquirt versions.

I would NOT try using a self learning system for a boosted application unless it also let you access the tables manually. If you find a system that you can tune yourself is lean under boost, you can lift immediately and throw 15% or whatever more fuel across the entire boost range. From what I understand about self learning systems, (1) they only retune in a specific range around the cell that's lean, so you'd have to hit a lot of cells and have it learn all of them, hopefully before it blows the motor from running too lean, and (2) most of them cannot be set up for a MAP sensor that handles boost anyway.

I also do not like TBI type setups for turbo builds. We've put EGT probes on a TBI motor before and confirmed the fuel distribution was not good. I would much rather use a multi-port setup here. You don't want a lean cylinder under boost.

3. pe_turbo

I like the MS3 Pro. It literally comes with the kitchen sink, it's easy to tune, and will almost run any ignition etc that you want to use. Very flexible and loaded with features. Price isn't bad either ;)

4. 64duece

There's a new Terminator available with larger injectors. It's a pretty simple "bolt on" style deal with integrated 2 bar map sensor and self learning. They work pretty darn well.

5. JCH

Dennis, is this boost compatible ? If so what hp can it support?

6. Matt Cramer

And equally important - even if the electronics can tune for boost, is the fuel distribution good enough to trust in a forced induction application? It'd be interesting if they could publish some fuel distribution data from it.

7. yellowpony

I have messed with things I should not have messed with in my fuel map, in some areas i was over 75% off my base fuel. Went and made a pass and the car ran the same damn number it normally does. It is an excellent system and yes I would trust it to self tune under boosted conditions.

Anthony