1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Carb guy wanting good efi info

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Robert1320, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Robert1320

2. Maximumrisk

Re: www.massfloefi.com

I have never heard of them, but browsing their website I saw a supercharged 302, so I guess you could use it for blowthru

3. Robert1320

4. red95gts

Good Lord....for the price of that thing, you could buy a Haltech....

5. Robert1320

Right too many $$$$$

I am a carb guy but I am always looking for something new.
    What would be the best EFI?

Thanks

6. gryphon68

You might want to check out Megasquirt if you'd like to experiment with Fuel injection without dropping $2K on a big name aftermarket standalone.

7. red355

megasquirt for the money you save you cant beat it i use it on everything i turbocharge

8. Grape Ape

On their sire they show it on a supercharged mustage blow through. $2500 isn't so bad if you are getting a complete system (maifold, throttle body, injetors, wiring, ECU, etc.). Call and ask them about turbocharging. If it works with a blow through centrifugal blower, it shoudl work with a turbo.

9. Anthony Fury

I wouldn't touch that setup with a 10 meter cattle-prod (what movie? anyone?). Especially at that price. Look closely - notice how they only mention High-Z injectors? Does that distrbutor's module look familiar? it's an EEC-IV and a TFI module! I think there was an article on this place in HRM as well. Although I am a big fan of the EEC-IV, I wouldn't pay that much money to eventually run into any of the problems the blow-thru EEC-IV guys have on here, not to mention -

1. How will you (or they) set / pull timing?
    2. How will you (or they) get the MAF transfer function right?
    3. What if your bonnet's distribution (under boost) doesn't jive with the MAF, no matter how it's clocked?
    4. If they get all this right, are you gonna spend another $300 on a Low-Z driver box (or $100 for hokey resistors)? It looks like you'll be making more than 550HP. :)

I say - leave this to retired farts who are scared to death of computers, but feel their car has a better chance of getting a spread in Hot Rod if they say it has EFI.

Consider -
    Converted manifold: $200 + $400 conversion
    HEI distributor: probably free (this is for a Chevy, right? :chacha: )
    Used FAST with harness: >$1000 (+$50 to send it in if it wasn't running HEI before)
    The right size injectors, lines, pump, etc: $1000 (depending on how nuts you go)
    Wilson/PTE Elbow, your choice of TB: $500

Sure, you have to either learn to tune it or get it tuned, but then you know it'll work. Just me.

10. Robert1320

Thanks everyone I still don't know. I am a carb and motor guy (old skool) (and older than a lot on this board)
    Every once in a while I ponder the thought or entertain the idea of EFI. Not that I fear the technology or dread tuning it. Just so damn expensive.

I can DYI a carburetor for a couple hundred bucks.

11. RI85GT

You answered your own question Rob. You can DIY a MegaSquirt for a few hundred bucks.

12. Robert1320

For the MegaSquirt, what about injectors, tps, map, etc...

13. RI85GT

Well all the systems take supporting parts. But for the Management .....MS is on the cheap

It is what it is .........

14. Robert1320

Oh, come on talk me into it.

15. red355

TPS they are cheap ,map sensor comes with the megasquirt (good up to 21 psi butt you can get a 4bar map sonsor too) injectors that will be the most expensive part depending on how much horse power you want to make ,coolant temp. sensor and air temp sensor are GM so they are cheap too

16. gryphon68

Victor EFI Manifolds can be had for around $400 with fuel rails for almost any engine, second hand factory EFI manifolds are even less, even with the fuel rails.

17. red355

if you have a tig welder do it yourself and save even more money

18. RI85GT

19. srvblues00

I hear ya on the cost.. I just finished builind a 351w TT. I was trying to find a very good flowing EFI monaifold at a reasonable price.. not hapenning. So, I picked up a new carb manifold and converted it to EFI. I build my own fuel rails. Took some time, but no direct expense out of my pocket. http://www.binaryweb.com/scrapbook/010806_fuel_rail/

20. Anthony Fury

Those tig'd rails look awesome!