1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Carb 408W - input would be great.

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by 408WStroker, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 408WStroker

Hello,

My name is Paul and I have an 87 ford mustang with a carb 408W and I am looking to put a centrifugal supercharger on it. What I currently have is an Aeromotive A-1000 pump with an A-1000 reg (1:1 with boost) 10 an feed 8 an return and dual 6 an feed. I have a crane ignition box with an MSD distributor and a Bigs stage 5 750hp prepped carb.
    Ok, so my main question is what would you do next for a boost setup? I am going to get a blow through carb but I am not sure if I want to get Bigs to rebuild mine for 330.00 shipping included or just get a CSU (which is better?). Do you think my fuel system will be good? How do you deal with timing as well (retard box or just use different springs and stops in the dist to control the timing)?

The specs on the engine are

Forged dished pistons which is still 10:1
    Forged crank
    Forged h beam rods
    Canfield Aluminum Heads stage 2+ porting
    STOCK Block from 1989
    Hydraulic roller cam 535 lift (duration 240 I 250 E @ .050)
    Ported and polished super victor intake

I am looking to run 7-10 lbs of boost. Do you think the block will hold up if the tune is safe? Also how will the 10:1 comp be with boost? Lastly, what charger would all of you run on this car? I was looking at a P1SC (too small?) with an intercooler, but I was wondering what you all would recommend.

I appreciate the help and apologize for the long post. I am new here and have read a lot of the posts already and I am just looking for some more information.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Brent Davis

The pum will be fine but change the regulator to a 132-02 aeromotive and use -10 fuel lines for feed/return or else you may run into fuel pressure overage that you can't take it low enoughat just idle.

For "JUST" 7-10 psi of boost, you can build your own carb and it run just fine with the "how to build" article. That carb alone would probably only require to jet it up 8-10 jet sizes on the front and rear and haul ass. CSU is my choice though "IF" you were going to go with 20+ psi of boost.

Most just lock their timing out in the distributor by locking the advancement mechanism out completely. It "CANNOT" be moving around under boost. The best thing to do is add a Digital 7 ignition box so that timing can be controlled that way throughout the entire RPM range.

For a 408, I'd get at least a D-1, YS or NOVI2000. The P1SC is o.k. but a bit small for that motor size. For you know it, you'll have a D2R or F2 on that thing. Take heed to the things that will be mentioned and told to you as we've all been up and down this road a few times. ;) Good luck and welcome to the site.

3. cshort351

I agree with Brent, but I would be scared with the block. I have had a stock 351 1974 with a street fill and gertal make about 750-800hp and live but I am not sure how close you would be with that combo. The blocks are only good for 700-750hp somewhat safe with a fill and gertal.

4. jkoogler

i'm running a 410 and have a d-1. it put down 608rwhp and thats at 15lbs. i'm running a sx pump and filter with the aeromotive 13202 regulator works great. car is very streetable. i spray mine with snow and run pump gas.

5. Brent Davis

Have you ever dynoed with and without the snow kit for results? A good blow-thru peer dynoed his car with and without and gained 30-40 RWHP(I can't really remember the power gains) by turning the alcohol injection off.

6. 408WStroker

WOW this site is GREAT!! Within four hours I have had 4 responses. Brent thanks for the welcome! Jkoogler what kind of carb are you running on your car and what is your engine setup if you don't mind sharing. The only reason I am asking about your combo is I am trying to figure out what power you had na.
    I am looking into a bigger charger now, at least a D1 and also the 13202 regulator. I will also look into the timing and ignition.

Thanks for all the help,

Paul Vasko

7. jkoogler

no i haven't tried. i'm spraying after the carb. my combo is

kpi/tfs heads
    flat tappet cam
    vic jr intake
    840 bg carb mod for blow thru. i would go with a csu if i were you. i plan on it in the future.
    timing was at 24degrees on 93 with the snow.

8. Brent Davis

No problem Paul. You will have a great running car once you get it all together. Without a doubt, the blower will be fun and I forgot to mention that the 351 block should be safe up to the 700 HP range but anything more may require a girdle although I'd add good rods too. Make sure that you have a camshaft with at least 240* 250* duration and a minimum of .580 lift or better to take full advantage of those heads.

9. FourEyedFord

I would deffinately put a bigger cam in that size motor. I had a 240/248 duration cam in my 427w last year and the power died well before 6000rpm. I would say a low250/low260 duration cam would be nicer in there to help the motor breath a little easier. Make sure also that you get a cam with a lobe separation in the 114 degree area, also.

10. FourEyedFord

Sorry, posted again! :bang: