1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mating a chebby trans to a sbf

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by PowerAddict, Feb 25, 2008.

1. PowerAddict

where do you get the adapter plate and longer input shaft for say a th400 to mate it to a sbf? How much we talkin?

2. ELpolacko

3. TuffGT

JW transmission will hook you up. New bell housing that will bolt right up to a sbf. :)

4. blacksaleen95

thats the way to go!

5. ShaneH

No adapter plate needed. Cut off the TH400 bellhousing and install a JW Ultrabell. Do a search.

6. RacinRadials

Freddy Brown in NY sells the adapter

7. BigTurboNotch

so all i need is to cut off my stock th400 bell and put on a jw ultra bell? I was reading on a bunch of sites that people are using mid plates and adaptor kits/plates. So im not sure exactly if i need a mid plate or adaptor kit/plate? thanks.

8. blacksaleen95

that's correct..

9. 61falconman

10. BigTurboNotch

so why are people using the adaptor plates and mid plates if all that needs to be done is use the ultrabell? also whats the deal with the converter spacing? what else needs to be purchased for hte th400 to mate up to SBF?

11. ShaneH

I haven't seen anyone use an adapter plate in 10 years.

12. roozterdvx

The Ultra-bell is absolutely the way to go.
    Convertor spacing will depend on the flexplate used and convertor, (mine required 1/4" spacers with a 157 tooth JW "The Wheel" SFI flexplate.)

That's another thing,
    Get the 157 tooth flexplate and Ultra-bell, instaed of the 164 tooth. Leaves you more room for exhaust around it and more room for install/removal.
    Some people claim to have to "massage" the tunnel sheetmetal with a hammer for clearance. Mine went in without hitting anything. My only guess is they have the larger flexplate.

Your stock crossmember can be made to work but you have to relocate it farther back.

13. Enginerd

bridal-shoal