1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Car started with oil pressure, then lost all pressure!

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by yellowpony, Feb 28, 2008.

1. yellowpony

Guys, i have a problem. I just got finished bolting the blower on my car, and i put fresh oil in and fired it up. The car started and idled great. The gauge showed about 55psi oil pressure (cold) with a melling high volume pump. As i was topping the coolant off, i heard some rockers start to tick on the pass. side, i figured it was no problem as the sound wasnt out of the ordinary for a misadjusted rocker. Well, the noise got louder and the exhaust note started to sound a little different, like there was a miss (there was), so i ran to the front of the car and looked at the gauge, and it only had 5psi of oil pressure!!! I shut it down immediately brought it back inside. Now i havent torn into anything yet, but i had a local engine builder cut open my oil filter to take a look, and there was no metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary in there, but he did say there was a little water in the oil, but there was no "milkshake" effect in there at all. Now this motor (427 windsor) only has about max 300 miles on it. The motor never even showed 120f on the gauge. I tried priming the motor after all this happened, and there is little to no resistance from the oil pump, and the gauge reads about 5psi with the drill. The mechanic seems to think that the relief valve in the oil pump stuck open and caused the sudden pressure drop. This is on a dart block so the galley plugs are threaded. There was no oil on the ground or anything, and the car wasnt smoking at all. The only other thing that he mentioned was that i could have spun a cam bearing. Either way the motor is coming out this weekend and taking to the local engine builder so that he can go over it and just make sure there is nothing else harmed in the motor and check the oil pump. Do you guys have any other ideas as to how this could have happened so fast?? Thanks for any insight!

Anthony
    Novi 2k blown 427w

2. yellowpony

You know, now that i think about it, i did intake gaskets last night on the car and on the very back of the lifter valley, there is a threaded plug that i had blocked off with a plug. During the intake install i removed the plug to retighten and make sure everything was ok, i forgot to reinstall the plug in the bore. Does this plug have an effect on oil pressure on a SBF? That is the only thing that i can think of that was changed!

Anthony

3. fastranger347

yup you just released all the oil pressure with that plug, put it back in and try again, ide change the oil right after it warms up just in case you've got some material flating around in it

4. yellowpony

That was it man, i dont know why i have to go and mess with shit that was already fine. It's alright now, i primed the hell out of it and made sure oil was coming out of all the pushrods, fired it up and its purring right along. Gonna change the oil on sunday and cut open the filter to see if there was anything floating around, and refill it and let er rip. Thanks man!

Anthony
    427w

5. Robert1320

Anthony! :doh:

6. Maximumrisk

Good deal!!. Hope everything turns out ok :2thumbs:

7. yellowpony

Thanks guys!

Anthony