1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

car slows down a ton in this heat ! come inside is this normal?

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by sprayit67, Aug 1, 2011.

1. sprayit67

hey guys , car runs 8.50`s all summer long at 5.45-5.50 at the 1/8th . normally 160+ mph i never run in this heat with 300% humidity before and the car is a turd. 4-6 tenths off.. yea the a/f is at 10.2 with only 30 deg of timeing but i really though that was just safe . will lets say a 11.0 a/f with 31-32 deg of timeing wake it up in this heat ??

2. sprayit67

really 38 lookkers but no one has a opinion ? :doh:

3. blown385

I can tell you that beween 10.2 and 11.0 on my set-up is like night and day .

4. sprayit67

what fuel are u running?

5. tbird

well. In good air with forced induction a motor can sometimes take an overly rich AFR. In hot crappy weather not so much.

Mid 11s AFR is safe IMO. Some might say low 11s. Kinda depends on if it IC or non/IC. Either way 10.2 is way too much fuel. INtercooled its way way too much fuel.

I would not add timing. Start leaning it out and see what it likes.

Ive seen little over 100hp at the wheel going from 9.8 afr to 11.8. However this was on a low boost 450rwhp deal.

6. blown385

Pump gas on the street , C-16 at the track . neither one likes AFRs in the 10's .

7. wantabe

with the extra humidity, i'd run tad more timing
    its only water in the air ;)
    isn't that what people pour into there turbo motors?

8. conbread

do you always run it at 10.2 a ??? i bet it would be a beast around 11.2-5.... or is the hot humid air making it go rich??

9. turbostang500

I have a question, can you increase boost pressure to compensate for the increase in ambient air temp
    and slower et's?
    Assuming that it is intercooled and you arent just heating the air up more!

Would this also get the a/f to lean out a little or not on a blow through application?

I am curious about this problenm also but not anywhere close to an 8.50 time! Haha

10. sprayit67

i have left the tune up at 10.2 for the last two yrs becouse it runs the number every pass. plus i thought it was safe there.
    honestly i never ran the car in july and august before in this heat im usually on my boat , lol

yea the car is a slug at 10.2 in the heat .

i dropped the rear jets down 6 sizes and ill increase the time 1 deg and im going racing tomarrow. well see what happens.

11. sprayit67

increase boost would be a bad idea. it need more timeing in the heat to burn the water in the air.. plus i have a air to water its not the air temps as much as the thick humidity that we have in chicogo..it was 80% last time i was out at 2200 ft ...ewwww

12. conbread

gotcha, i didnt know if the heat would make it go lean or rich..

also i dont blame ya for taking the boat out when its hot out, i sure wish i had one to play with.. good luck racing this weekend..

13. NOVALOU

Any updates?

14. sprayit67

yes.

10.2 to 11.2 a/f brought the car back to normal.. the heat was just too much . i also gave it 1 deg of timeing and wow the car lit up.. in the cold the tune up would probably be way to fast for my class!ll :doh:

15. Greg O

How much jet did it take to move teh a/f a point?

Also, my procharger falls off big time when it gets hot. I put a water meth nozzle pre compressor and fixed that for good.

16. sprayit67

six jet sizes.. 10.2 a/f ir really too fat