1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

car shuts off while driving but WILL crank back...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by redturbofox, Jan 17, 2015.

1. redturbofox

hey guys, i'm all the sudden having an issue with my 89 LX. a year ago i put the car together and had it tuned and it's ran good until I had to change an intake gasket "not due to the turbo" and i wanted to have my car rechecked at the dyno to make sure all was still good as far as A/F and FP etc. well I go pick my car up yesterday and as i'm on the interstate coming home it just dies on me with no warning at all so i quickly pull to the side and try cranking it back and it cranks but i had to press the pedal to the floor.I drive for about 15 more mins and it starts to do the samething but this time it doesn't cut off but acts as if it wants to.after i got home i went back out for another drive after checking to make sure all my battery cables and wires on the car were tight and after about 20 mins of driving it shuts off again, same thing and it starts with the pedal held down, drive some more till i'm home and as I turn in my drive way it dies again and cranks up with the pedal down.what could be going on? the combo is just a 302 with H/C/I and a single 70 mm turbo , 5 speed and keep in mind the car has ran great for a year with the tune and all the sudden after being checked it stars this.it could just be a coinsidence but it's just strange it's happening afterward.oh and i forgot to mention that i have drove the car for 4 months with no issues since i swapped intake gaskets.the tuner said all looked good but he did have to adjust my idle some.thanks

2. 91turboterror

Maybe a flooding issue?iac?

3. Drac0nic

If you're going above ~3/4 throttle it's probably going into flood clear mode. I would start by checking the plugs and seeing how a couple of them look. Is it possible you have some MAF piping loose? Stalls can suck to chase down especially if intermittent.

4. devo9er

does it die quickly like you killed the ignition or does it lose power and sputter out?