1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

watercooled wastegates...

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by jwatts, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jwatts

TIAL has come out with them, but a couple have popped up on eBay (Chinese?) Wondering if anybody has any experience with them.

I've got a twin scroll turbine housing on my BW Turbo that I built my own headers for. I would like to keep the turbine sections divided, which would be easier with two small wasregates... hence the interest in the cheaper ones. I was hoping the watercooling would make the diaphragms more reliable in the cheaper gates.

2. stangman9897

Never heard of one , you have a link. ?

3. cat herder

4. Turbofox89

Looks like they made them a bit shorter 2 which is nice.. I would think it depends on where you are going to put them as well. If they get a good amount of air moving then the water cooled ones IMO wouldn't make much difference.

5. jwatts

Since I have the passenger side header and downpipe crowding that side of the bay, I don't think there will be much of a cool breeze available. I still have the alternator moounted on the stock brackets taking up space, as well.

6. underpsi68

Is a water cooler WG really neccessary?

7. slow67

I could def see a need in a marine application. WOT for extended periods of time.

8. cat herder

Larger version of the graphic, on the page it's been resized and the text is too hard to make out:

9. Drac0nic

Interesting. What's interesting to note is that silicone is rated to about 450F I believe. That means that the water cooling should be pretty effective in keeping it under that margin. Then again conventional gates have been around forever without water cooling so I could see this being for "super heavy duty" use rather than conventional use. Interesting that the knock offs started making them too, I'd be curious to see how well the passages flowed tbh.

10. MONTEGOD7SS

How would you plumb it? Out of the waterpump and into the radiator?

11. MONTEGOD7SS

I get that, but on a car you'd need to go from high pressure to low pressure, so I assume the radiator is where it would go back.

12. 9t3svt

Out of the intake by the thermostat and back in a block drain I suppose.

13. 10secgoal

How long before, or does it over power the cooling system in a car ?

14. MONTEGOD7SS

I can't imagine it putting any more heat into the cooling system than a water cooled turbo, and almost all OEM turbos are that way. Just like everything else turbo related, when you aren't beating on it the heat isn't much different than NA. It seems pretty unnecessary for most applications that aren't boats, road race cars, or land speed cars.

15. cat herder

Pressure is higher between the water pump outlet and the thermostat, relative to the rest of the cooling system. So the feed would be taken from the WP outlet but before it goes into the engine (water's hotter after it's been through the engine), and the return anywhere after the thermostat and before the WP impeller.

16. Drac0nic

I think it would be fine personally. Don't forget water cooled CHRAs have been around forever on OE apps and that the new Cummins controller for the VGT is right by the turbine and it's water cooled too.

17. 10secgoal

I hadn't thought about that. I would think the WG would get hotter ? Eh, even if, thinking about the water cooler CHRA's, probably not enough to matter.