1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

E85+Boost+Compression

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by dad599, Oct 8, 2015.

1. dad599

I'm in the planning stages of converting my car over to turbo. The engine is a 355 SBC 12.5:1 compression with Track 1 heads. The plan is filling the block to the water pump holes, 2 ebay GT45's, blow through, on E85. My goal is 800-1000hp. My question is can I keep the compression where it's at? Intercooled or non? The engine is already together, so I'd rather not have to change pistons. If I have to I will. I like the idea that the extra compression will help spool the GT45's on a smallish motor

2. ss496

Thats alot of squeeze....I can only speak from experience....I have run 12 lbs non-intercooled with 10:1 compression without issues from fuel and I have run 21 lbs non intercooled with 9.4:1 without issues...both on E85, both SBC with iron heads.....other limiters prevented more boost from being run.

What would the engine put out N/A?

3. TURBO-D MIKE

Take the compression down. 12.5:1 is too high. 9-10.1 is good for what you are doing

4. dad599

Around 450-475 with a roundy round cam in it NA

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

If you are going to fill it then I would think you may distort the block requiring machine work but I could be wrong. I was always told to fill the block first and then do the machine work. You could likely run very low boost and be okay as is but you would have more HP potential with lower compression and more boost I would think. I would go with smaller turbos and gain better mid range HP. I use two little T3/T4 turbos and it is amazing how quick they spool up, instant boost and it may give up a few HP up top but way better in the mid range.

6. ss496

Could always try it...then if you mess up the pistons...then swap them out....just a thought.....or run methanol.

7. dad599

The car isn't a street car and I'm not afraid to spin the motor 7-7500 so I'll live with the low end loss, but I guess I'll have to plan on a piston swap.

8. Forcefed86

Just run methanol... No IC required and 12.5:1 is fine.

9. dad599

I thought about that, but if i do blow through, Kevin doesn't do methanol and he's my preferred guy and if I go EFI I'm concerned about the cost of injectors to feed 800-1000hp. I don't think 160's will cut it.

bridal-shoal